Anyone have new chicks coming?

I only had to do the chickie butt bath on a couple of mine (my yellow easter egger and one of my wyandottes). I monitored two to three times daily every single day... At the first sign of stickage, I washed 'em off. I also started making grit and dirt available off and on starting at 1 week. I read about the dirt thing here on the forums... I think that has helped.

I have a welsummer, a delaware, and a red star coming the week of june 25th. I made them a brooder out of several cardboard boxes, duct tape, and hardware cloth. Also, a question, can chicks eat pak-choy? I'm growing some in my garden.

I keep reading about pasty butt. I am getting my chicks from a local breeder- pick up not shipped. They are 1 week old. Will this lessen my chances of pasty butt? I will have to go read her notes but she said 95 degrees and drop it 5 degrees each week until it hits outside temps. BUT in a week it's going to be 100 degrees outside. LOL This coming week it will go from 90 to 90 then 100 all in the space of a week. By mid-June we are usually dealing with upper 90s and by July steady triples. So will they only be under the lights for a week then off? They will be in my house until they get bigger and I keep it 76 in here.

Pasty butt can happen to any chick, seems like it is stress and food / eating that causes it to me. I have had 3 sets of chicks this year and only the second set had it, and they were the most stressed. It was cleared up pretty quick though, not hard to fix, just watch them! All of mine are doing just fine now!

As far as the temps go, it might be hot during the day outside, but their actual temp in the brooder is what you need to worry about. If they will be in the house @ 76 degrees then you need a heat lamp for sure. When they go outside, if they aren't fully feathered then I would also use a lamp at night because it will be cooler then too.

Have fun with your new chicks!!

nancie so sorry about your little one:(

Mine are now 5 days old, and no sign of any pasty butts,,they are lively, little piggies, friendly and a hoot to watch:)

Pasty butt can happen to any chick, seems like it is stress and food / eating that causes it to me. I have had 3 sets of chicks this year and only the second set had it, and they were the most stressed. It was cleared up pretty quick though, not hard to fix, just watch them! All of mine are doing just fine now!

As far as the temps go, it might be hot during the day outside, but their actual temp in the brooder is what you need to worry about. If they will be in the house @ 76 degrees then you need a heat lamp for sure. When they go outside, if they aren't fully feathered then I would also use a lamp at night because it will be cooler then too.

Have fun with your new chicks!!
Thanks! I am keeping my eye on them. Poops seem normal. Bottoms look clean. :D

The Marans are so much calmer and docile than my Buffs so far. If it stays like this- I know which breed I will stick to and get a Roo for. :D I believe they are all hens and they are all a week old. (buffs and marans) I only just got them yesterday though.

Gah!

I have seen so many stories about MPC babies arriving within 1 day.....even in CA and the north shore of MA and the far reaches of CT...I'm fairly near the middle of the state. They should be shipping Express Mail since it's a small order, and the post office says all their Express deliveries arrive by 11:30am. So I guess they aren't coming today.

One more day of stressful shipping for my little pack of 7. Very frustrated. I know they say it can take from Monday to Thursday, but I was hoping to have the luck others have had - my sister's came from chickensforbackyards overnight from Texas to CT. I sure hope they make it OK with the extra transit time. :fl

How can you wait "patiently"? I'm waiting in a nervous excited worried frazzled heap! When really I should be outside working in the garden. I just want them to be here and be healthy! We've been waiting since early February - I think I used up my patience last month.

Me too!!! I placed my ordered back in February and I have been waiting since. I am suppose to get them today and I can't stay in place... I am way too excited.

I know the feeling. I was a bit overzealous in setting up the brooder. Spent a lot of time fiddling unnecessarily because I am so excited to get them and only have motivation to do chick-related things until they get here. BYC is chick-related, so it's an allowable activity :D

Poulettes and chippie - what are you getting and from where? We ordered a Barred Rock, a Partridge Rock, a Buff Orpington and 4 Silkies in white, black, and red. The silkie availability is what led to such a long wait - they were unavailable until months out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom