anyone hypnotise a chicken?

BaronRenfrew

Songster
11 Years
Feb 18, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I'd read that it's possible to hypnotise a chicken (Al Gore mentioned he did this as a kid in Tennessee in his last book (too bad he didn't hypnotise George Bush into believing he lost).

And if so what can you get a chicken to do? bark like a dog? lol

I had to cull a roo but my friend did it for me, I couldn't.

She hypnotized it since I did not want it to suffer.

It looked like it was asleep while she plucked his neck feathers........
hit.gif

How do you hypnotise a chicken?
hmm.png

I recall years ago a friend tucking the head of one of his chickens under it's wing, and it seemed to go to sleep right away. Is this the same thing?

I don't think the chicken is actually hypnotized, it is actually in mild shock. Some people flip them over a few times or hold them and spin around fast a few times, or swing them back and forth quickly. Some people do it like a parlor trick and say it was put to sleep or hypnotized. I asked a vet about it when I was a kid, and he told me it wasn't good for them because he believed it was just putting them in mild shock. If you are culling one and doing this to quiet it down, it's probably OK, but I wouldn't do it for any other reason.

Last edited:
Okay, I think I can shed a little light on the matter. I am a Certified Hypnotist. No I am not joking. I have had training on hypnotising people to help them stop smoking and lose weight and all of that. So I know all about what hypnosis is and what it isn't. Hypnosis in people is a very relaxed state of mind and body that allows the hypnotist to access the subconcious mind and give the person suggestions for better behavior (like to stop smoking.)

It is IMPOSSIBLE to hypnotise ANY animal in the traditional sense of what hypnosis is. What people are most likely doing to these chickens and other animals is either putting them in a mild state of shock, dizziness, or confusion.

There are TONS of videos on www.youtube.com about chicken "hypnosis". If you want to see some methods of the process, just go there and search for chicken hypnosis. I can't see a benifit to the chickens for doing this other than to calm it so you can kill it. And in fact, I personally find it to be slightly inhumane to do it for fun because you're doing it for just that, YOUR fun. I'm sure the chicken doesn't think it's fun. I think it's more fun to watch my chicks chase crickets around the yard.

Back
Top Bottom