Anyone raise chickens to feed RAW to their dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I add supps. What they are depends on what I use for ingredients for the week. I have a variety of human supps, for example zinc, magnesium and others. I compare her diet to the NRC, then crush tabs or open capsules into a baby food jar. This gets sprinkled on her morning meals. She also gets fish oil and vit E capsules.

When I butcher quail, the innards go to the cat, along with the necks. She's not on a raw diet, it's just that it's an added bonus for her. I don't have the time or energy to formulate a complete raw diet for the cat, I have a hard enough time formulating meals for the family! But, kudos to those who do take the time.
smile.png

B. Saffles Farms :

Yep I dont want my dogs ever eating a raw bird. Like walkingwolf said it will usually make them want raw meat even, if they didnt before.

That is exactly right; I know people who have had to put dogs down because once they get the taste of raw meat and blood, you can't make them stop killing. I would think real long and hard before trying this type of feeding. Where did this idea start, (and not the cave man theory, he didn't have a match until later, and he never ate raw meat after that, did he?)​

Actually, there are still people who eat raw meat.
wink.png
But, really, dogs and cats can process the bacteria in raw meat (as long as it's handled properly and fresh), and cooking ruins some of the nutrition, so, people look to feeding raw.

My German Shepherd is 11 months old and suffering from the following: itchy skin, red ears with waxy discharge and sometimes infection, excessive shedding, and biting of his front legs/paws due to itching.
My vet has been treating him for 4 months and we are currently on the elimination diet to determine if this is a food allergy. He is currently using a Royal Canin food product for skin disorders and it is very expensive.
We are on week 3 of the elimination diet, and last night was the first that I noticed that his ears seem to be better.
I'm wondering if the raw diet would be cheaper than what we are doing... I'm spending $87 for a 35lb bag which lasts about 1 month. That's about $2.50 per pound of dog food and he eats about a pound a day.
23790_10pt_buck_2008.jpg

Ive been considering doing this with the young roos that I raise. I have fed them raw chicken wings for years, but have been afraid to go to larger cuts such as the legs and thighs. Maybe with a very young rooster, they would be able to handle it. Certainly something to think about.

The whole raw meat theory with a dog becoming more aggressive towards animals is a debunked myth...

All of our dogs eat raw on the farm and not one try to eat a walking chicken when left alone. They have no idea what that chicken is to them. They simply know that the livestock/chickens are part of the family/homestead and leave them alone. Part of their instincts are that indeed they are pack animals and tend to look to a certain person/leader for food. My dogs know I provide the food and that's the only way they are to get it. I'm sure if I starved them they would look for other alternates but they would go through the neighbors trash before consuming a live chicken.

I have a section on our site to sell raw dog food products and a lot of producers are now looking into it as a side buisness on top of their pasture poultry.

I say go for it, it's healthier.... and cheaper. Dogs are meant to eat raw meat as their number one food source... not grass... berries.. or seeds. They are indeed omnivours but they are also opportunistic hunters and will eat raw meat before berries everytime.

You have to understand that a dog that eats raw meat isn't the same as having a taste for chicken blood. Many dogs kill because they like the chase and know what the end result is.... tasty bloody chicken... But dogs that are fed a raw diet of meat most of the blood is out of the meat and again the dogs have no idea that the meat came from a chicken... to them it's just a meal.

(and not the cave man theory, he didn't have a match until later, and he never ate raw meat after that, did he?)

Just like humans dogs stomachs havn't evolved over time like other things. Back then humans couldn't thrive on raw meat... same as today.

Back then... wolves didn't thrive on corn and oats... and they still don't today. Which is why millions of pet owners have already switched their pets diets to raw... they see the benefits of it.

Again go for it you will be fine.​

Quote:
That might be true for some dogs but not alot of them. Ive seen them first hand get a taste of meat and they want more. Thats why I dont do it. But its just my choice, from what I have seen.

It's laughable that anyone thinks that feeding raw meat to your dogs will "make" them mean, change millions of years of evolution, give them some kind of bloodlust, or for that matter, even be unhealthy. Raw meat is highly recommended by a lot of vets. I'd give all of my chicken backs to my dogs, but they are spoiled and won't touch anything raw. Dogs may want to kill if you allow them to run through the woods and bring animals home- and even then it's unlikely that it would be a problem. What you feed them in a dog dish has less than nothing to do with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom