Anyone raise chickens to feed RAW to their dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vaccines are a whole 'nother story. Our state has a law for rabies vaccinations. My cat has never had any shots in her life. I grew up with the barn cats (again, no shots) and had healthy cats all of my life, then when my parents split, my mother moved into the city, and ended up with three cats (one was brought from my dad's house). She started vaccinating, and the one cat started having terrible seizures, she would flop around so hard that she would be in another room, or even on another floor, and it would wake you from a dead sleep. It's a wonder she didn't kill herself from banging against stuff, because she'd try to find a small space to prevent herself from flopping everywhere. Sometimes she wouldn't make it up/down the stairs because she'd get hit by one as she was trying to use the stairs, and she'd flop all the way down. We couldn't figure out what was wrong with her, then my parents didn't get the shot one year and she slowly stopped having them. A few years later, and she hasn't had one since (shot or a seizure). Now, I won't touch my cat with the junk. She's 100% indoor, never goes out, and I won't inject junk into her for no reason.

Last edited:
Quote:
As a current LEO, I know PLENTY of people who feed their dogs raw meat- because it's healthier. Vets will tell you specifically NOT to feed your dog cooked poultry bones, because they can splinter and cause health problems- even killing your dog. Raw chicken backs and turkey necks are absolutely fine. There is a HUGE difference from people feeding their pit bulls raw meat and everyone else. By that logic, you could make an angry pit bull into a golden retriever by feeding him vegetarian. As for the digestive tract of a dog- it is fine with raw food. My dog will eat huge piles of chicken poo and it's own poo, with no problems- I've had plenty of dogs that will dig up a weeks old dead deer or rotten fish guts to snack on, and worst case scenario, they throw up- that's it.

I'm baffled how people on BYC, who raise their own chickens because it's healthier, could possibly think that unknown ingredient containing, corn based kibble (you ever see a dog eat an ear of corn??) would be healthier than meat.

Last edited:
Quote:
Loup, Is that really you?

the oh so great moderator over at showdog?

Nice to see you here and thanks for posting a more factual (instead of myth and fear) based argument for feeding Raw.

Karen

Quote:
Loup, Is that really you?

the oh so great moderator over at showdog?

Nice to see you here and thanks for posting a more factual (instead of myth and fear) based argument for feeding Raw.

Karen

Yep, tis I! Thanks for the kind words.
big_smile.png

I'm having a great time here, but you know me--I need to put the good word out whenever I see dogs being maligned or misinformation being offered as fact. No offense to anyone here, but it's sad when I see otherwise knowledgeable people buying into "facts" that are spread by animal rights activists and other people with agendas against dogs and other pets. I particularly get upset about the anti-APBT threads (there is no such breed as a "pit bull;" "pit" bull dogs are a type, not a breed), since there is just so much ignorance being spread about otherwise fine dogs. The problem is not the pit bull-type dog; rather, it is the pit bull-type dog fighter/abuser. You know, like Michael Vick.

As a current LEO, I know PLENTY of people who feed their dogs raw meat- because it's healthier. Vets will tell you specifically NOT to feed your dog cooked poultry bones, because they can splinter and cause health problems- even killing your dog. Raw chicken backs and turkey necks are absolutely fine. There is a HUGE difference from people feeding their pit bulls raw meat and everyone else.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Check out www.leerburg.com and you will find TONS of information on how beneficial feeding a raw diet is for dogs. MANY dogs' issues with exactly what you are describing are relieved by feeding a natural diet. Connie Southerland on that site is a real pro and will be able to guide you or answer any questions you may have.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Wife I pressure cook the bones until the crumple until almost a powder. Not only do they get the benefit of the bones but the broth. Pressure cooking is much different from frying or stewing. Not all people who are feeding raw meat to dogs are breaking the law, BUT for the ones who are feeding raw meat is common. There is a reason they do it.

Quote:
We appear to on 2 different topics here, what has kibble have to do with raw. I agree that healthy meat is healthy for dogs as well as humans, it is just the raw I disagree with. You must have missed where I posted I feed my dogs beef and chicken(no pork).

Quote:
I don't want to seem rude, but why would anybody want to feed a predator raw meat? This is a bad combination for the chickens as they have a natural instinct to kill them, feeding them raw would only add fuel to the fire. I have had wolves for years and have never fed them anything raw.

Zoos feed animals raw meat and we have all scene the consequences when people have accidentally come in contact with them.

I don't take your question as rude at all; it is many folk's first reaction. Dogs do not associate with what you put in their bowl at night with the white thing with feathers outside in the run - it makes no connection what so ever. I have one dog who is occasionally lucky enough to catch a rabbit or squirrel and will devour the entire animal, however she is perfectly well mannered around our three cats.

I'm not talking about letting my dog run down and kill a live chicken in the yard - THAT would be adding fuel to a fire. But placing a section of meat into a dinner bowl is very, very healthy for the animals. Your wolves would LOVE you.
love.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom