Anyone want to get into shape this summer?

Im glad someone dug this post out because I was going to do it
big_smile.png
. I have lost 12 pounds in 4 1/2 weeks, but more impressive than that,I've lost 1 inches in my arms,2 1/2 inches in my chest,4 inches in my waist and 2 inches in my hips. I've also reduced my % body fat by 1 %.I am very pleased with this low glycemic way of eating. It is so easy and you don't have to deprive yourself of everythng.

Oh my gosh, I'm so PROUD of everyone!!!!! Looks like I've got to get back with it. I did really good today until supper. That is 2 out of 3 meals though.

I haven't gained any weight back, but haven't lost in a couple 3 weeks. I now have a new goal to loose 10-15 lbs by October. We are going away for dh's b-day. We plan to meet some friends in Tennessee. That'll put me down another pant size,,whoo hoo.

I've been reading this thread since it started and just couldn't seem to motivate myself. Then the kids started back to school and well I'll tell you, my wife started me on the 21st of July on "her" diet for me. Forget Jenny Craig, my wife is awesome.

I've been driving the 3.5 miles north to the mountain each night and I've been hiking up a half an hour and then back down...takes almost an hour just about everyday with the exception of Thursdays and the Sabbath. (Sunday) I teach a class in Spanish on Thursday nights so I just walk around the neighborhood when the class is over.

For breakfast I have an orange or a grapefruit and sometimes a small cup of yogurt. A couple of times a week I take a boiled egg for a mid morning snack.

For lunch I have cabbage soup and then she will give me an icecream sandwich for desert. If I get tired of the soup she gives me a garden salad (out of our garden!)

The key is, I don't eat ANYTHING but ice water or flavored ice water after 2PM... she says, "Why put gas in the car if you are going to park it in the garage (bed) at night?" She is right.

I also do multivitamins and at least 2g of chewable Vitamin C.

It hasn't been easy. I would love to sit and watch the Olympics with a bag of chips but I just have the ice water instead.

So far I've lost 20 lbs. and she's taking some of my fatter clothes to the thrift store to give away and my legs are getting all muscular. She tells me we are not going back to the big and tall store ever again and that little by little I'm going to clean out my closet.

Back in June my blood pressure was running about 145/95 with a pulse of 72. Yesterday my BP was 109/60 with a pulse of 56. It's working.

I'm a BIG believer in getting on a scale at the same time every day. It keeps you honest. If you cheated, you'll see it in the scale. I have a calendar in my bathroom and my new scale weighs to the 2/10 of a lbs. Everynight when I'm hungry, I just think about how wonderful I'll feel in the morning if I've lost a couple tenths of a lb. Of course there are some days when for "no apparent reason" I'm back up a lb. or two. That just motivates me more and so I've started keeping a journal of ABSOLUTELY everything I put in my mouth. If I bite it, I write it. If I nibble it, I scribble it. With six kids, my wife has food everywhere in the kitchen and in the past it was so easy to just graze and nibble.

The key for me is accountability: SCALE & Journal EVERYDAY.

My wonderful skinny wife wants me to loose a bunch more we'll see how it goes. She reminds me that God put us here on this earth to overcome the flesh, that our spirits are to rule our bodies and not the other way around.... and she is right.

Last edited:
Yes, there is a certain feeling of strength and satisfaction from ruling your body rather than it ruling you. Prayer can help with cravings. And muscular strength helps with everything - balance, posture, twisting, flexibility... So pick up those weights even though you may think it's silly.

I got on the scale this morning and it said 142. I'm usually 144 to 147. I guess the bike riding has sped up my metabolism without me realizing it. I'll probably go back to normal when I stop riding the bike (when the weather gets too cold) and go back to just weights and half-hearted cardio.

Keep it up guys, it's so worth it. YOU'RE worth the effort it takes!

Last edited:
Does anyone know of an exercise that could replace a supine chest press? I do them with my back on a Swiss ball, but my dumbbells aren't heavy enough to make them worthwhile...

I had pictures made last week. Sent some home to Missouri and my sister asked if I'd lost weight!!!! I hadn't told anyone that I had lost any at all. That made me so happy!!!
big_smile.png

I'm still at just a little over 12 lbs lost. This past week has been kind of tough. I did not take the time to plan well and ate just whatever over the weekend. Let me tell you,by Sunday I was miserable!I got back on track Monday and by Wednesday felt so much better. I love this way of eating. If you do it properly,you don't crave carbs and sweets.
I'm on my way to making supper now.

I decided to try the detox part of this system. They recommend a week,but 5 days was all I could stand. The verdict? I LOST 4 MORE POUNDS!! I have lost 16 total pounds in less than 6 weeks. We take measurements in another 2 weeks. Yipee!

I decided today I wanted to get serious again about losing some pounds. Other people always help. I started a journal today to record what I eat.

Back
Top Bottom