Apparent infection, now eye is white...Help!!!

Vickery

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 3, 2013
Carson City, NV
My 7+ month old ROR had a closed eye, no discharge (except a little watery inside) and had runny poop, seemed lethargic. Wasn't eating or drinking. Flushed it out with saline 2x daily and gave penicillin drops (1x/day) and Vertricyn Opthamalic (1x/day). Also gave a dose of Tetra-Vet 10 in food systemically. She has improved a lot...still a little low energy but fights me a bit and the eye is open 50% of time. It continues to be white. I can't tell if it's the secondary lid, or if the eye is damaged or still infected. Any thoughts fellow BYCers? Photo #1 is 5 days ago, #2 & #3 are day 4 post treatment.

Last edited:
It looks like a solid mass of pus that has hardened. Make sure it isn't the third eyelid, but if it is pus, it should be removed. Tylan 50 injection would be a good drug to give 1/2 to 1 ml (half given into the breast muscle, the other under the skin in back of the neck) daily for 3-5 days.

How would one determine if it is pus versus the third eyelid? It is (as far as I can tell) perfectly conformed to the eyeball...so it may be the third lid (?).

And then...how does one get a hold of some Tylan 50 injections without seeing a vet (who won't give you anything without actually seeing the bird)?

Back
Top Bottom