Apparent infection, now eye is white...Help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vickery, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Vickery

Vickery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2013
    Carson City, NV
    My 7+ month old ROR had a closed eye, no discharge (except a little watery inside) and had runny poop, seemed lethargic. Wasn't eating or drinking. Flushed it out with saline 2x daily and gave penicillin drops (1x/day) and Vertricyn Opthamalic (1x/day). Also gave a dose of Tetra-Vet 10 in food systemically. She has improved a lot...still a little low energy but fights me a bit and the eye is open 50% of time. It continues to be white. I can't tell if it's the secondary lid, or if the eye is damaged or still infected. Any thoughts fellow BYCers? Photo #1 is 5 days ago, #2 & #3 are day 4 post treatment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like a solid mass of pus that has hardened. Make sure it isn't the third eyelid, but if it is pus, it should be removed. Tylan 50 injection would be a good drug to give 1/2 to 1 ml (half given into the breast muscle, the other under the skin in back of the neck) daily for 3-5 days.

3. Vickery

Feb 3, 2013
    Carson City, NV
    How would one determine if it is pus versus the third eyelid? It is (as far as I can tell) perfectly conformed to the eyeball...so it may be the third lid (?).

4. Vickery

Feb 3, 2013
    Carson City, NV
    And then...how does one get a hold of some Tylan 50 injections without seeing a vet (who won't give you anything without actually seeing the bird)?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Tylan is available at most feed stores including Tractor Supply.

6. Vickery

Feb 3, 2013
    Carson City, NV
    How do you remove a thin, hardened layer of pus that is on the eyeball?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by