April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics

gmjarvi

Songster
Feb 11, 2020
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Welp, it's time to start up a thread for those of us that have babies hatching in April! All hatchers and all birds are welcome :).

Easter babies: please enter your hatches in the 11th annual Easter Hatch A Long 2020! Participants here have eggs that are not hatching close enough to Easter to count for that event, but ALL April babies are welcome so feel free to chat about your Easter babies with us as well!
---
I set 8 cayuga duck eggs on 3/13, due 4/10-4/11 (entered in EHAL). They are too early to really candle yet, so 🤷‍♀️. They are shipped eggs from Fat Hen Farms and they were packed very nicely, but the air cells are definitely wonky. I will be trying to handle them as little as possible.

There will definitely be more eggs set to hatch from me in April! But at present my bators are full to the gills. There are 8 chicken eggs (barnyard mix, my own flock) due on 3/31, so they might make an appearance here as well.

Happy hatching!

Last edited:
I'm here :wee

I have Pekin eggs in the bator I set them yesterday. I'm going to put more in today 🤫 don't tell my husband. The ones I'm putting in today are from the fridge. I have to get them to room temp first.
I just got some ducklings from TSC and I didnt think I really wanted Pekins until they didnt have any! 😂 ended up with rouens and swedish. I'm in love with the swedish, they are so cute.

Have you had grown Pekin?
Like to eat or as pets? This year is my first year with ducks, but I have eaten duck before and I loved it. I think most commercial duck meat is pekin but I could be wrong 🤔. My mom wants me to raise 2 pekin for her freezer but it looks like she's getting rouen instead. I'm also trading some meat ducks for turkeys at the end of the year with my local chicken friend. The swedish and cayuga will be for pets/eggs.

Like to eat or as pets? This year is my first year with ducks, but I have eaten duck before and I loved it. I think most commercial duck meat is pekin but I could be wrong 🤔. My mom wants me to raise 2 pekin for her freezer but it looks like she's getting rouen instead. I'm also trading some meat ducks for turkeys at the end of the year with my local chicken friend. The swedish and cayuga will be for pets/eggs.
Pekin I think is the most common duck breed that they use for duck meat at restaurants.

I have two females and a male, their eggs are being used for meat ducklings. So the ducklings that I'm hatching for April will be for meat.

Pekin I think is the most common duck breed that they use for duck meat at restaurants.

I have two females and a male, their eggs are being used for meat ducklings. So the ducklings that I'm hatching for April will be for meat.
If I see pekin at TSC this year I will probably pick them up - it'd be nice to have a breeding trio and not have to buy more each year. Maybe I should do that with the rouen...we'll see how we like em first I guess!

If I see pekin at TSC this year I will probably pick them up - it'd be nice to have a breeding trio and not have to buy more each year. Maybe I should do that with the rouen...we'll see how we like em first I guess!

We have a jumbo Pekin and two white layers from TSC. I lucked out picking just 3 and got a trio.
20200315_112642~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom