April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Wry neck is often caused by a vitamin deficiency or an injury so yes, it can be treated. I would start with a vitamin supplement and if it's bad the chick won't be able to drink on it's own so you'll have to carefully put droplets on the side of it's beak so it can swallow on it's own. If you force it to drink they aspirate easily so it's better to slowly do the droplets with a dropper or small syringe. Nutridrench for poultry, Poultry Cell by Rooster Booster, or Polyvisol WITHOUT iron (an infant liquid multivitamin) are all good options to treat for wry neck. Do you have any of those?
I always keep nutridench in my chicken bag! Lol I’ll try a qtip. Others are still hatching. I usually don’t open the bator but should I pull her immediately?

Just noticed this thread. I've been following along on the Easter hatchalong though I set my eggs too early for that one. Anyway, they're pipping now. Light Brahma and Silkies of various colors. :fl And I have duck eggs cooking downstairs. 🙂 Anconas from one seller and mixed breeds from another. 🦆

She’s having a harder time walking around in the incubator. Looks up, her head falls back and she tumbles over.

Since she just hatched it's probably not wry neck. This occasionally happens with a chick that just hatched. There is an area on the back of their necks that fills with fluid for hatching and when this is slower to go down those chicks have a tendency to flip over more often. If you find she gets stuck on her back for more than a couple hours repeatedly, you can take her out and hold her in the correct position. If the head is still curved backwards while you're doing this then it may be wry neck.

Just noticed this thread. I've been following along on the Easter hatchalong though I set my eggs too early for that one. Anyway, they're pipping now. Light Brahma and Silkies of various colors. :fl And I have duck eggs cooking downstairs. 🙂 Anconas from one seller and mixed breeds from another. 🦆

Fingers crossed for a great hatch!

Since she just hatched it's probably not wry neck. This occasionally happens with a chick that just hatched. There is an area on the back of their necks that fills with fluid for hatching and when this is slower to go down those chicks have a tendency to flip over more often. If you find she gets stuck on her back for more than a couple hours repeatedly, you can take her out and hold her in the correct position. If the head is still curved backwards while you're doing this then it may be wry neck.
Okay. He/she is completely dry. So I assume he/she hatched at some point late last night. I will keep a close eye on him/her. But I do like how you said she! 😂

Okay. He/she is completely dry. So I assume he/she hatched at some point late last night. I will keep a close eye on him/her. But I do like how you said she! 😂

The vitamins won't hurt either way so I would offer them just to be safe in case it's early signs of wry neck. Once they're fluffy it's less common to see the head flipping back from the muscle that fills with fluid so you may be on to something with wry neck. Also, since she is dry, if there aren't any actively hatching chicks I would probably go ahead and quickly take her out to better evaluate the situation. Pictures are helpful too. Keep us updated on the little one!

Back
Top Bottom