April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Can I play?

Set 12 SDW and BBR OEGB pure and cross eggs in my Brinsea Eco Mini on March 41. ETA: 3/19-3/2.

Did my first candling this morning officially and could spot vascularization in all but one egg. It looks very porous for some reason and is hard to visualize.

Scene the evening of the 31st right after loading so the numbers on my secondary thermometer look a little wonky.
View attachment 3454126
I'm proud of this hatch. This will be my bantams 4th generation. I bought the breeding stock as vaccinated birds thanks to spending the previous three years fighting Marek's disease.

There is life with and after Marek's!
Congratulations!

Can I ask if you vaccinate each generation or if you have managed to breed resistant birds?

Can I play?

Set 12 SDW and BBR OEGB pure and cross eggs in my Brinsea Eco Mini on March 41. ETA: 3/19-3/2.

Did my first candling this morning officially and could spot vascularization in all but one egg. It looks very porous for some reason and is hard to visualize.

Scene the evening of the 31st right after loading so the numbers on my secondary thermometer look a little wonky.
View attachment 3454126
I'm proud of this hatch. This will be my bantams 4th generation. I bought the breeding stock as vaccinated birds thanks to spending the previous three years fighting Marek's disease.

There is life with and after Marek's!
Welcome!

D’Uccles haven’t been doing well here either, but one has pipped I think 🤞🏼 It was a guess on who laid it and all the others from my guesses were clears.

I hope your bobtail hatch goes perfectly!!! You deserve some cuties 💕
Thanks! I agree, I do need some cuties! I was excited to get a new d'Uccles baby, but it is what it is...I will just try to enjoy the other bearded babes that hatch! :) I'm hopeful the two watermaal eggs make it too! :)

I totally forgot about the general April HAL thread! I set 14 d'Watermaal eggs on March 30th, I candled yesterday and they all seem to be doing well! Pretty exciting to see I'm not the only person with Watermaal's set! Expecting black and (recessive) white, hoping for some split to mottled!
338910295_230063066182487_6216026568805150027_n.jpg

Congratulations!

Can I ask if you vaccinate each generation or if you have managed to breed resistant birds?
All resistant birds since the vaccinated breeding stock I bought. I read somewhere where they are debating whether resistance is passed on via the hen into the chick from the vaccination.

Last year I hatched Egyptian Fayoumi chicks from my breeding stock and have hatched two roosters from them and my barnyard cross stock that were also resistant. So far so good. I haven't had an obvious Marek's death in almost 5 years, cross fingers, knock on wood and cross myself three times and I'm not even Catholic.

I totally forgot about the general April HAL thread! I set 14 d'Watermaal eggs on March 30th, I candled yesterday and they all seem to be doing well! Pretty exciting to see I'm not the only person with Watermaal's set! Expecting black and (recessive) white, hoping for some split to mottled! View attachment 3454221
Oh fun!!! Did you get them off eBay? Wonder if they’re from the same lady haha. I can’t wait to see your babies!!! 😍

Back
Top Bottom