April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
So 4 out of 6 hatched. I had a broody Muscovy that helped. So now I have 4 Ayam Cemani. I took them out of the coop and put them in the tub because…well, who knows.
Hopefully I get one roo out of it!

Attachments

• ABDF753B-7CAD-4287-B80B-D9B7B12804B5.jpeg
    ABDF753B-7CAD-4287-B80B-D9B7B12804B5.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
5 more to go. 7 eggs have not pipped and this late I don't think they will but I won't shut down until late tomorrow afternoon. The 5 are heavily pipped and chirping. One zipping. Looks like I'll get 34 out of 41 set. I'd like better but for a second time hatching with an incubator I've got to gripes.

Well I did my last candle. All 18 of the eggs have veining and most had movement, in spite of the incubator unplugging incident. Some of the chicks seem to be smaller/ less developed inside the egg though, so I have the feeling some will have a delayed hatch. The air cells on almost all of them are very small but I am hoping some will be able to hatch at least. Hatch day should be Wednesday 🤞

Well I did my last candle. All 18 of the eggs have veining and most had movement, in spite of the incubator unplugging incident. Some of the chicks seem to be smaller/ less developed inside the egg though, so I have the feeling some will have a delayed hatch. The air cells on almost all of them are very small but I am hoping some will be able to hatch at least. Hatch day should be Wednesday 🤞
I probably knew but didn't really realise our hatch days were so close together! Mine are due on Tuesday night / Wednesday. I'm going to do my final candle shortly.

That's fantastic news! They may need more time to make up for that day so don't give up hope. It sounds like they're all alive so hopefully all will go smoothly. I think the air cells can draw down quite a lot at the last minute.

My 13 will be going into lockdown tomorrow! I'll be candling today since I won't have a ton of time tomorrow but when I checked a few days ago all but one looked perfect and the one looked like it could be normal so we'll see! I have the brooder set up and my cat is waiting (impatiently) for her favorite TV station to be back on.

My 13 will be going into lockdown tomorrow! I'll be candling today since I won't have a ton of time tomorrow but when I checked a few days ago all but one looked perfect and the one looked like it could be normal so we'll see! I have the brooder set up and my cat is waiting (impatiently) for her favorite TV station to be back on.
Yay! There'll be a few of us hatching over the next few days, then.

My 15 just went into lockdown now. The first 18 days seem to fly by but I know the last 3 will drag on forever!

My 3 week old March group have now been evicted. Here they are in their outdoor brooder.

IMG_20230416_155135.jpg

IMG_20230416_155023.jpg

This is my first time having two generations because my adults all came from bought eggs and it's my first year breeding them. I have the brooder within the electric fence but the chicks have their own little makeshift mini run for now, to integrate them and give them cover from aerial predators. The adults have been showing lots of interest and there has been so much cute interaction. One hen in particular has even been feeding the chicks through the mesh and my cockerel has been calling them the way he calls the hens. I'm so amazed, really.

IMG_20230416_155222.jpg

Now we're getting a bigger run ready so the March and April groups can merge when the April chicks outgrow the indoor brooder. And my broody hen is going strong on her 7 eggs so we need to prepare a better place for her for when they hatch. It's neverending expanding of chicken infrastructure around here!

IMG_20230416_155444.jpg

That is fantastic news! Is the Wednesday hatch date adding a day from the power being out?

There are two now that I'm unsure of BUT there are four who look like they're almost ready to internally pip! I might have to put them in lockdown tonight but I also might make them wait until tomorrow to give their siblings a chance to catch up. Lamb has assumed her position and is a bit confused about why it's not warm or making noise like before.
Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 2.38.51 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom