APRIL FOOLS HATCH, give or take a day.....who's in ??

Good luck, MikeS(erama)! I have a Blue Andalusian hen and one of her chicks (crossed with Appenzeller Spitz but you'd never know it; she looks exactly like her mama but with a smaller comb) and they're some of the most interesting to watch of my whole flock! Very flight-capable -- both will fly for >100 ft to get to me when I've got treats -- they don't love being handled but they're otherwise quite friendly and curious. I really like them!

day 15 , still haven't grabbed an egg to candle,
haha, no foul odor today either, haha.

still really debating the egg carton for hatching due to the fact that I have no clue on earth how many eggs are developing.

there are 40, I could have 2 hatch or I could have 20 +, oh what to do , the dilemmas of it all,
wink.png

I read somewhere about using muffin liners, being they are paper, wouldn't they absorb the moisture, but they would have more hatching room than a carton. hmmmm, what else could work to contain the mess without the constriction of an egg carton.
I do worry about the youngins getting stuck in the carton holes etc.

just had a wonderful scare. POWER WENT OUT, BUT, AS FAST AS IT WENT OUT AND I SCREAMED 'OH NO' QUITE LOUDLY, IT CAME BACK ON !!!!!!!!
barnie.gif

Quote:
I used the liners in the bottom of an apple box...produce section at the grocery store
big_smile.png
It was awesome! The chicks have plenty of room and the "divots" that hold the apples are perfect to hold the egg but not restrict it. Just a thought!

14th Day, 6th Hour. I candled them again quickly and all still going.
#5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 all from splash am roo x either blue rock hen or blue cochin hen- guess we will know by which, if any, have feathers on their feet.
#17, 34, 39- from black araucana roo x white leghorn/ams (EEs). wonder if these will be black or white?
#26, 27, 29- EE x EE- I think I know who the baby's daddy is...
#32- bantam

don't know if anyone posted this, but here is a great link on embryo development.

http://freshpics.blogspot.com/2007/05/stages-of-chick-embryo-development.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom