APRIL Hatch a long ......Anyone?

I also have Welsh harlequin ducks due to hatch this month! Mine are going to hatch on the 24th, so pretty close to yours. Welcome to the hatch-a-long! :)
these are my proud parents:)

I put some eggs under my silkie yesterday! Aaaand she's still stealing everyone else's eggs, lol.

I think my due date is around April 30th? Or May 1st? Something like that, I think. This is my first time trying to get chicks. :)

I put some eggs under my silkie yesterday! Aaaand she's still stealing everyone else's eggs, lol.

I think my due date is around April 30th? Or May 1st? Something like that, I think. This is my first time trying to get chicks. :)
nark her eggs you set and remove the fresh/new ones daily. This is VERY important. The other hens are probably laying in her nest and she's all too happy to have more eggs. Silkies have chicken math problems.

I set on the 8th and mine will hatch the 29th.....soooo you set the 9th so yours will hatch the 30th.

our dates are so close!

my broody im hatching under is a splash silkie....and she still seems to be getting OE eggs in her nest! LOL

my first broody hatch failed when my hen almost killed 2 chicks. then I took all of them away from her. I heard silkies are MUCH nicer than BAs so hopefully more luck....this time I am going to separate my broody from my flock when these guys hatch....unlike my last attempt.

(the eggs my BA is sitting on in this photo my silkie above came out of!)

Last edited:
Update... I moved the whole operation to the master bathroom, got it good and steamy then plugged in the humidifier, got the heat lamp in there and as we speak the temp on the top of the eggs is 99- 101 degree's and the humidity is 53% I borrowed the temp/humidity gauge from the incubator room and will more than likely spend the day running back and forth
wee.gif

Ok.. Here is an update.. pics to follow later..

Three chicks are out, two doing great, the third resting a lot, not going to believe its in bad shape til it has a full 12 hours out of the shell... The fourth one not good at all, will be a miracle if it survives it was malpositioned, I had thought it had piped the aircell yesterday but I was wrong... The egg was stone cold this morning and no movement when I candled it so I did an eggtopsy only to discover it was alive, but barely Its head was stuck under a wing and what I think I saw in candling yesterday was it trying to move into position, ... Its in the "bator" resting, it is breathing for now and tries to peep, still attached to the yolk sack.. we shall see.
fl.gif

All in all not bad, I hope the other two chicks make it, but a 50% hatch on what these little guys went through is pretty amazing MHO..
smile.png

Love the splash silkie :) wish I had breeders close by with birds of that quality I'd buy a tone of hatching eggs and its okay to be jealous sub I know my welsh Harlequins are pretty :)can't wait to see their babies!

Back
Top Bottom