Araucana + Ameraucana = ?

poultrykeeper08

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Agawam , Ma
If you cross an Araucana with an Ameraucana what does it make an EE ? I have 2 chicks from a crossing like that should i just throw them in with the layers ?

Yes, in my opinion, you can call them Easter Eggers. You can put them in the laying flock when they are close to the same size as the adults, if that's what you mean. Dont put chicks in with adult hens.

Yes, they would be an Easter Egger.

This is easily understood if one remembers that an Araucana and an Ameraucana are two TOTALLY DIFFERENT breeds and therefore the offspring cannot be considered either one when they are crossed. I just don't understand why this is so hard for folks to grasp.

It would be the same thing as if you crossed a German Shepherd with a Collie. It wouldn't matter if the pups turned out to look like a German Shepherd and/or a Collie - they still would NOT be either.

God Bless,

Last edited:
Yup EE.... because even if they conformed looks-wise to the breed standards, they would almost without a doubt not breed true. But I bet they would be some of the cutest EEs you ever did see!!!!
big_smile.png
My Ameraucana roos have been mating my lone Araucana gal... I'm gonna hatch some of her eggs out soon to keep in with my layers or maybe my EEs
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom