Are Banties an actual breed?

Supermommy486

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
South Central Texas
I'm pretty sure they are but I wanted to make sure. I picked up 13 banties and they are lots of different colors so I was wondering if they were an actual breed. Sorry if it's a stupid question
big_smile.png

Banties are old school term for bantams. Some call them BB banties. Meaning tiny bantams, likely referring to OEGB. Back in the old days, it didn't make much sense to raise a smaller version of poultry because poultry was thought of as food, not fun. They wanted the larger birds for the table and for egg production. The bantams are the novelty aspect of poultry I guess you could say.

Quote:
True, although studies have shown that smller versions are usually more cost effective. I know that is true for cattle, goats and sheep. I am not 100% positive about poultry, but wouldn't be surprised.

if you ask the feed store in vegas, banty is a breed... rofl....
i asked what breed they said banty is the breed... i decided it wasn't worth arguing... lol...
but of the 5 bantie i bought the one time, i got 2 different breeds of that breed...

Quote:
True, although studies have shown that smller versions are usually more cost effective. I know that is true for cattle, goats and sheep. I am not 100% positive about poultry, but wouldn't be surprised.

Yup, today I believe it is different. Smaller can be better, LOL. For example, I'm thinking back to the history of the midget white turkey. They were tried and the interest fizzled and the breed declined. Now they are making a slow comeback.

Back
Top Bottom