1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are Buff Orpingtons really big?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by my5hens, May 17, 2011.

1. my5hens

my5hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Do Buff Orpintons really get to be big girls? Right now I have RIRs so they are standard, but someone told me even the female Buffies get heavy.

Laura

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Both of my RIR hens are heavier than my BO hens, but the feathering makes them look comparible.

3. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    The BO hens standard is 8 lbs., which is only topped by the Jersey Giant at 9 lbs. Yeah, thats big.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They're not fat! They're fluffy. Though they do get to be pretty heavy, its kind of disapointing to process a BO. They look huge with all those gorgeous feathers, but pretty scrawney without them. Trust me, if you get BOs you probably wont want to process them.......they're so sweet and cuddly [​IMG]

5. Capron09

Capron09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    We are new to chickens and we got a rooster and a hen BO. They are big. Quite a bit is feathers but contrary to what others are saying, there feathers dont weight that much. They get between 8-10 lbs so maybe a pound is feathers? Im just speculating on the feather weight but even an 8 pound bird is pretty big.

6. raftnfish

raftnfish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    We have a few Buffs...BIG like our cochins.

7. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I think they are all feathers. They look big but it's mostly fluff. My heaviest hen is actually an EE. She's not fluffy but she's solid.

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by