Are ducks ever NOT hungry?

Pics
So, it’s been awhile since I’ve added to this thread, and it’s been awhile since I’ve figured anything out about the hunger ratio with my ducks. But, now that we are down to 24 ducks, and feeding them All Flock...I am happy to say...they are really not hungry!! When I open the barn in the morning they b-line it straight out. There is still food left. I fill up a 3lb container of feed every night for them but, they don’t eat it all. I’m sure it’s partly because this week has been in the 40’s and they were able to forage a bit. But I’m happy that I know my duckies aren’t always starving! :)
Try 5 Pekins fed 8 lbs of food each morning, supplements, snacks, scraps plus foraging, and there's never ever any food left by evening. As stated before, my ducks seem to be always hungry; yet, I know for a fact mine are just greedy, fluffy butt Quackers.

The consensus is you can not correctly access how much feed ducks need by how they act.
The problem appears to be they seem to be going through a lot of food.
First I suggest you physically pick up your ducks and feel if they are fat or skinny or just right.
If they feel fat ,you are feeding them to much.
If they are skinny think rats or internal parasites.
If they are just right then consider finding cheaper alternatives to your feed.
Check out this website about feeding wheat to your ducks Call Ducks Association. http://www.callducks.net/looking_after_calls.htm
I hope this helps.

The consensus is you can not correctly access how much feed ducks need by how they act.
The problem appears to be they seem to be going through a lot of food.
First I suggest you physically pick up your ducks and feel if they are fat or skinny or just right.
If they feel fat ,you are feeding them to much.
If they are skinny think rats or internal parasites.
If they are just right then consider finding cheaper alternatives to your feed.
Check out this website about feeding wheat to your ducks Call Ducks Association. http://www.callducks.net/looking_after_calls.htm
I hope this helps.
I absolutely agree about watching with the pekins...I’ve raised many that have developed hip and joint issues and have passed prematurely. They say they are not bred to live long, but instead bred just as meat birds. So, although they light want that feed..it might not be what’s best. And, treats are only supposed to be 10% of a daily diet for any bird. And lastly...if you have that few ducks, it sounds like a lot of feed...you just may want to weigh them and cut back for their health issues...please please don’t take offense. And by means I’m no expert, but I just lost my dear Daisy to arthritis and she was wayyy too young. We lost one in the spring too.

Try 5 Pekins fed 8 lbs of food each morning, supplements, snacks, scraps plus foraging, and there's never ever any food left by evening. As stated before, my ducks seem to be always hungry; yet, I know for a fact mine are just greedy, fluffy butt Quackers.
Even when I had my 41 I was not giving them that much at one feeding...sometimes it can stretch crops if they overeat...is what I’ve been told by someone on here.

Back
Top Bottom