are ducks good pets

awesomecoolfun

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
hi i was looking at BYC and saw this duck area i have look at getting a duck now and then,but i have never really looked in to it. i was wondering if ducks would be a good pet thanks
smile.png

It depends what your looking for in a pet. Yes they make good pets if you have the proper set up and time to put into them. They usually don't like being held once they grow up, but they are comical to watch and some produce lots of eggs. They do bite, HARD. But i don't think its always out if aggression. But i love mine and it all depends in what your looking for

Yes. They are fantastic pets, but you must be prepared for how high-maintenance they are... plus they make a huge mess. Ducks also do not jive with work schedules and travel. So if your life involves either, think hard. You need to have fenced open space outdoors for them to free range and preferably a pond. They also require a secure house to sleep in at night that is safe from predators, and they must be let in before dusk. Every night. You will need to be there every day to care for them and maintain their routine and environment. They are not like dogs, cats or caged birds that can be left alone with a bowl of food. I don't mean to scare you off... a lot of domestic ducks are dumped at ponds and parks because people think they are cute and are not prepared for how much work they are. These animals have no defenses and usually die from predation.

I don't necessarily agree with the above posts. If you have a secure area to keep them, a gravity fed feeder, and reliable water source they can be left alone for short periods. I would feel more comfortable leaving a duck or a chicken alone for five days than a dogs. I commonly left our initialf five hens alone at home in the coop for 3-5 days when I go hunting in the fall. I would have some extra dirty eggs to clean but otherwise they were fine.

However, I do agree that they don't make the best pet if you are looking for something to cuddle and handle. That being said we have two chickens that absolutely love being snuggled and pet so it just depends on how much you interact with them when they are young. I already see some people ducks in our flock that eagerly jump into our hands and enjoy being stroked on the back.

If you have a secure outdoor covered run, yes, they can be left for a short period of time... but they still need to be locked up at night, every night. A dog can defend itself against a raccoon, domestic ducks and chickens can't.

And my favorite duck is extremely affectionate... he loves being held, petted, and cuddled and will literally crawl into my lap for attention. So. Everyone has their own perspective.

My three ducks are the best pets that I've had so far.
Yes, they are a lot of work, but so is any animal. They just need different care than a dog or a cat.
I spent a lot of time with mine and they are truly part of my family, just like a dog would be.

We like to go to the beach and eat sand crabs and chase seaweed.

They help me garden and eat all my slugs and spiders.

They love car rides.

They also love head rides...

They bring me weird presents.

We take awesome sun naps together.

Such unique animals to raise. They have such personalities. They lay yummy eggs and keep my house spider free!
There's never a dull moment with them.

I have a bunch of videos of the ducks and I. You can check them out and see how calm mannered they are.

Back
Top Bottom