are Leghorns and rhode island reds aggressive

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dan10, Oct 28, 2011.

1. dan10

dan10 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Washington
    Ive heard that these birds might be flighty and nervous [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I had a rhode island red and loved him. He was the sweetest bird! But being in the city I had to give him away. I still miss him!

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Leghorns are a small, energetic bird. I have RIR in the flock and find them friendly, steady, but mouthy. I have never kept an RIR roo, so cannot speak to that. But experience teaches that generalizations are important, but differences in individual birds will always occur.

4. dan10

dan10 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Washington
    What about leghorns?

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:flighty and nervous, yes - the leghorns were - the rir's were just not friendly, period

aggressive, no, none of mine were

6. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    My white leghorns are very sweet and they lay a lot of eggs, almost every day! I adore them. They are pretty too. I hand raised them and give them a lot of treats. They were part of my first chick purchase (ever) so I guess I'm a bit biased. Still I had no intention of having pet chickens (just some eggs!) but those leghorns and golden comets (who also lay a lot) stole my heart, and now I have a new hobby [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dan10

dan10 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Washington
    Cool Pics... your cat is fine with them!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  8. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011
    I've heard the leghorn roosters aren't very nice though. My neighbor has a leghorn rooster and he is not that friendly, also very dominant. I don't believe he had a lot of human interaction, so maybe that made it worse.

9. dan10

dan10 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Washington
    how do you hold a roo?

10. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011
    Quote:All of my animals get a lot really well! One cat did swat at a chicken today while the bird was trying to take her food, [​IMG] but most of the time if I put food out, they all come running - dogs, cats, and chickens. [​IMG] and eat happily together. Most of the time they don't pay much attention to each other. My neighbor however did adopt a stray male cat recently, and he is becoming a bit of a concern.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by