Are my 8 week old chicks ready for my weather? Screenshot of this week's forecast attached

Are they off added heat?

They will likely still huddle in their chick pile at night so should be fine either way.

My youngins have been in their coop without added heat here and we have dropped to zero at night with some daytime highs only in a he teens. Everyone is thriving.
My young ones are just now 14 and 15 weeks.
Been off heat for a while. That was a nervous few nights though haha

First post, forgive me if im doing it wrong☺

I'll let the picture show the weather but this week is as cold as it ever gets where I live.

My birds are a barnyard mix that I've raised from 1 day to week 8. There are 8 and they are housed with eleven 9 week old Guinea Fowl. They've been together in the same converted tractor to brooder since day 1. So 19 birds total.

The coop is a converted metal arrow shed, 10x12, textbook appropriate ventilation, roosting space, etc. No insulation or framing other than a new door frame. No electric or any other automation. (It's 80% shaded 24/7 under a big weepy tree) They will all be living in tbe coop 24/7 until March/April to train the Guineas. I'll be working with them in the coop multiple times a day.

I think I know the answer but this is my first time with chicks because I have a great sense of timing and connection with natural cycles 😝😝😝 but I would love y'alls thoughts. Thank you!
Your chicks will be perfectly fine. :)
You could put them out today if you like.

Take a deep breath and trust in their feather coats to keep them warm.
Me in March "Yeah 4 chickens would be cool for the place I guess. 2020 and all. Eggs. Meat. Good." Me NOW every morning walking outside: "Where are my (now 48 including Guinea Fowl) BABIES?? Aly? Whitney? Punky Brooster?? Hello, Loves!!!"

Me in March "Yeah 4 chickens would be cool for the place I guess. 2020 and all. Eggs. Meat. Good." Me NOW every morning walking outside: "Where are my (now 48 including Guinea Fowl) BABIES?? Aly? Whitney? Punky Brooster?? Hello, Loves!!!"

Yup. I started with 6 years ago. It became 42. Now I have 19 chickens and 7 ducks. :lau Everyone has a name too.
Years ago when my apple tree was still alive Pepper liked to go up and peck the unripe apples. She knew her name and would get down when told to.

They are a hoot!

It's up in the 70's there?! They'll be totally fine. By 6 weeks my youngest ones were used to 50 F and under, and now they are happy and comfortable even below 30 F while its' snowing outside. As long as they can snuggle together and stay dry they'll be happy. :)

I clicked on your thread to read but with no intent to comment, since i assumed u were located somewhere in the frozen tundra. But then i saw your conroe location. And knew your 8 week old babies will be fine! Im originally from texas gulf coast. Now live in far north texas, but even here your babies would be fine. On the other hand, my younger sister lives in upstate new york. She sent me pic this morn of a large "bump" in the snow, the bump being her completely snow-covered car! Would your babies be ok there? idk. What i DO know is I probably wouldnt have chickens in upstate new york. Well maybe only a few. Like 4. You know, for meat and eggs. At least until chicken math got hold of me during the nice spring & summer months! 😁

Back
Top Bottom