are my girls okay in the rain

ChickenMama1988

Chirping
Aug 10, 2022
My girls are about 15 weeks old! This is the first time since they moved outside that it has rained ALL day, it’s hasn’t rained more than hour in a day. Normally they free range but i have them in the run so they are close to the coop if they need shelter. I’ve noticed they have just been hanging in the rain. It’s not pouring but it’s constant rain. Are they okay? i don’t want them to get sick. i don’t want to lock them up in the coop if i don’t have to because hate being confined, even the run they get antsy. Is it okay that they are getting rained on?

Attachments

• 2E10268B-3106-47FB-9CC6-14564EE83167.jpeg
    2E10268B-3106-47FB-9CC6-14564EE83167.jpeg
    624.3 KB · Views: 30
Our adult birds will go out and forage in light rain; hard rain will drive them back into the tractor shed. our 4 month olds will put up with drizzle and our 2 month olds will stay under cover if it looks humid out.

The turkeys seem immune to rain, with only the juveniles seeking shelter once it really starts coming down.

As long as your chickens have options, they'll do what is right for them. Some may be averse to even a sprinkle while others will take the opportunity to stalk grasshoppers and other insects trying to climb up the weeds to escape the water.

this feed back makes me feel better!! i worry about them getting sick.. i opened the run gate for them so they can go be chickens .. i feel terrible leaving them in there for too long.. it’s 120 sq ft and there is only two of them but they love to be out and about!! I do have (5) 6 week old chicks that just moved into the run/coop area (separated from the other girls for now) i can’t keep them separate and dry at the same time so brought them inside in the pop up brooder until the bed time .. that was the right move right? they are too young to be out there?

i can’t keep them separate and dry at the same time so brought them inside in the pop up brooder until the bed time .. that was the right move right? they are too young to be out there?

Yes, if they don't have the option of being in shelter they need to be inside.

My 8-week-olds are learning to go in and out, but they have adults to teach them, including a rooster.

Yes, if they don't have the option of being in shelter they need to be inside.

My 8-week-olds are learning to go in and out, but they have adults to teach them, including a rooster.
these girls are super smart and i’m sure will pick it up from the big girls .. but they have only been together “separately” for 2 days .. Stella (she’s in charge) pecks at them if they come near her when i supervise then mingling so i’m not comfortable jsut leaving them all together without the chicken wire between them if i’m not there .. do you know how long it will take for them to just get along and know stella’s in charge? The little girls are much smaller than them (15 weeks vs 6 weeks) so i’m nervous .. i’m new at this so i’m also clueless aside from what i’ve read online

these girls are super smart and i’m sure will pick it up from the big girls .. but they have only been together “separately” for 2 days .. Stella (she’s in charge) pecks at them if they come near her when i supervise then mingling so i’m not comfortable jsut leaving them all together without the chicken wire between them if i’m not there .. do you know how long it will take for them to just get along and know stella’s in charge? The little girls are much smaller than them (15 weeks vs 6 weeks) so i’m nervous .. i’m new at this so i’m also clueless aside from what i’ve read online

I put mine into the integration pen for a week usually.

I did have a batch of Houdini chicks who were getting out of the integration pen after only 3 days. :eek: They got chased more than the others, but since my coop is so huge and has so many hiding places they were OK. Not recommended to do it on purpose.

We were all new at one time--and STILL have new experiences. You are doing great, just keep asking questions, someone will give you advice/answers-maybe not always what you want to hear but for the most part everyone here is amazingly supportive and helpful

Back
Top Bottom