Are Owls a predator of chickens?

Lady Di 58

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2017
My chickens like to roost on top of their coop. They were fussing tonight, when I went to check on them I saw a large bird fly from the top of their run area, to a tree. I am assuming it was an Owl as it is 10 pm and dark in St Louis. I am leaving my outdoor light on to try to deter the bird. Is this a danger? What else can I do to protect them?

Your chickens need to roost IN the coop. I know, I know - it's hard to convince them. But yes, owls will get them at night. So will raccoons, or possums. They need to be in the coop with the door secured.

Put them in their coop and keep them locked in there for at least a few days if not a few weeks to get them over the idea of roosting on top. They are not safe out there.

Owls are definitely chicken predators. I'd recommend covering your coop or at least putting them in their house and locking them up until morning.
Thank you. They do have a covered area that the Owl can't get to them. I wasn't sure how aggressive an Owl would be, if the Owl could get through the chicken wire. Do you know if other ways to deter the Owl?

Yes, they are and your birds are all but defenseless against them while at roost. You need to provide some form of cover, confine the flock to the coop, etc.
They have the run cover, which is chicken wire. Is this sufficient for the time being? I inherited the chickens with coop and run. It needs some work which I am planning on doing soon in order to make the coop better. Will they be safe for a couple of months? I appreciate every bit of advice I get here!

They have the run cover, which is chicken wire. Is this sufficient for the time being? I inherited the chickens with coop and run. It needs some work which I am planning on doing soon in order to make the coop better. Will they be safe for a couple of months? I appreciate every bit of advice I get here!
Chicken wire is the worse protection. They call it cchicken wire to keep them in. Not predators out. A 2 yr old could get through chicken wire.

Back
Top Bottom