Are sheep or goats more picky?

Are sheep or goats more picky?

• goats

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • sheep

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
Well, goats are generally not as picky, meaning they will eat almost everything. But, why would you have soiled hay and dirty water, just curious? I don't think anything wants to eat or drink that kind of thing, but if there's nothing else, they will. If you chore every day, have a feeder where they can't pull the hay on the ground, it shouldn't get soiled. Water buckets can be cleaned also.

If outside on pasture sheep are the better grazer. Goats are more of a brusher. Inside the barn the trick is the style of feeder. They pull the feed out. Most of what falls to the ground will be soiled and they won't eat it. We have feeders that are a V shape frame on top with the sides of the V covered in a Square metal wire. A pan under the feeder catches most of what falls and they pick through it. A good feeder pays for itself quickly. Goats prefer alfalfa while sheep are content to eat hay.

It will be lamb wrangling today :) tagging and finding a good one for a young friends 4H project. Thinking this nice ewe lamb will be a keeper to the flock. These are hair sheep. They don't have usable wool. They shed thier coat each spring.

IMG_5581.JPEG

Contrary to popular belief, goats will NOT just eat anything. They are very picky creatures. :he
IMO, goats are more fun, seem to have more personality, and come in every color under the rainbow! But, ask almost any longtime goat owner/breeder, and they will tell you that goats are born looking for a way to die (I can attest to this!). They are very susceptible to parasites and they can go downhill so, SO very quickly. And I mean way faster than any other animals I've ever owned.
Another thing that I feel people seem to be believe is that goats are grazers - you can just turn them out on pasture and they will be fine. But goats are NOT grazers, they are browsers. They will eat grass but they need roughage (like hay or brush) as well.

A few of my Nubian kiddos from this year:
IMG_0809.JPG

IME, sheep aren't as snuggly/loving but they are hardier and tougher than goats. If you are looking for lower maintenance animals, go with sheep. I love goats much more than sheep though. :p

Last edited:
Contrary to popular belief, goats will NOT just eat anything. They are very picky creatures. :he
IMO, goats are more fun, seem to have more personality, and come in every color under the rainbow! But, ask almost any longtime goat owner/breeder, and they will tell you that goats are born looking for a way to die (I can attest to this!). They are very susceptible to parasites and they can go downhill so, SO very quickly. And I mean way faster than any other animals I've ever owned.
Another thing that I feel people seem to be believe is that goats are grazers - you can just turn them out on pasture and they will be fine. But goats are NOT grazers, they are browsers. They will eat grass but they need roughage (like hay or brush) as well.

View attachment 1716272

IME, sheep aren't as snuggly/loving but they are hardier and tougher than goats. If you are looking for lower maintenance animals, go with sheep. I love goats much more than sheep though. :p

They are adorable! i have never owned goats but my sheep majority were(are) are very snuggly, loving but as with all animals just depends on the personalities, how they are raised and sometimes breed.

I can only comment on sheep, mine are hay picky but are very clean with the water... they eat trees though! managed to kill all the ones they had in my ewe/lamb area years ago lol.

View attachment 1716272

An old wise veterinarian once told me the difference between sheep and goats. He said that while sheep will blunder into trouble, goats actively seek it out. True.

An old wise veterinarian once told me the difference between sheep and goats. He said that while sheep will blunder into trouble, goats actively seek it out. True.

Yep, sheep are dumb and goats are pretty smart LOL. Too smart for their own good sometimes!
I currently have one that is bent on killing herself (see attached photos). :barnie :he
(And don't worry, she was none the worse for being stuck 5 seconds longer while I snapped the pictures)

IMG_0995.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG

Back
Top Bottom