Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Chicks 'n ducks

Songster
6 Years
Jan 23, 2018
Northern Colorado
Hello,
I am curious if Sheep or goats are more picky when it comes to soiled (like it touches the ground or gets poop in it) hay, slightly dirtied water, and other food, water, and mineral related things.
Overall are sheep or goats easier to take care of? which ones are more fun? (in your opinion).

Ummmmm...........you know me. I have a very biased opinion. :lau. I think goats are more fun as they come in different shapes, sizes, colors, etc., and they are much more smart. I have heard from my sheep-raising friends that their sheep won't touch hay that is slightly moist. They also won't drink dirty water. Sheep are easier to train for showing, but goats are great too, with a little practice. However, sheep will *sometimes* eat lower quality hay with fewer problems. Keep in mind this all totally depends on whether you are raising for meat, show, milk, or breeding.

Yes, I completely agree. I just don't want them going a whole day without drinking just because a piece of straw is in the water that I didn't catch. I've heard goats can be this way and I was wondering if it was the same with sheep. I would have a hay feeder for sure.
Piece of straw in the water isn't a problem. Poop or dirt is.

F610584F-407A-4B7B-9971-1E13F8667B3D.jpeg
Goats are cuter

Contrary to popular belief, goats will NOT just eat anything. They are very picky creatures. :he
IMO, goats are more fun, seem to have more personality, and come in every color under the rainbow! But, ask almost any longtime goat owner/breeder, and they will tell you that goats are born looking for a way to die (I can attest to this!). They are very susceptible to parasites and they can go downhill so, SO very quickly. And I mean way faster than any other animals I've ever owned.
Another thing that I feel people seem to be believe is that goats are grazers - you can just turn them out on pasture and they will be fine. But goats are NOT grazers, they are browsers. They will eat grass but they need roughage (like hay or brush) as well.

A few of my Nubian kiddos from this year:
View attachment 1716272

IME, sheep aren't as snuggly/loving but they are hardier and tougher than goats. If you are looking for lower maintenance animals, go with sheep. I love goats much more than sheep though. :p

They are adorable! i have never owned goats but my sheep majority were(are) are very snuggly, loving but as with all animals just depends on the personalities, how they are raised and sometimes breed.

Contrary to popular belief, goats will NOT just eat anything. They are very picky creatures. :he
IMO, goats are more fun, seem to have more personality, and come in every color under the rainbow! But, ask almost any longtime goat owner/breeder, and they will tell you that goats are born looking for a way to die (I can attest to this!). They are very susceptible to parasites and they can go downhill so, SO very quickly. And I mean way faster than any other animals I've ever owned.
Another thing that I feel people seem to be believe is that goats are grazers - you can just turn them out on pasture and they will be fine. But goats are NOT grazers, they are browsers. They will eat grass but they need roughage (like hay or brush) as well.

A few of my Nubian kiddos from this year:
View attachment 1716272

IME, sheep aren't as snuggly/loving but they are hardier and tougher than goats. If you are looking for lower maintenance animals, go with sheep. I love goats much more than sheep though. :p
An old wise veterinarian once told me the difference between sheep and goats. He said that while sheep will blunder into trouble, goats actively seek it out. True.

Back
Top Bottom