Are these cockerels??? (Pictures attached)

Fingers crossed the frizzle lavender splash is a pullet. I rescued it as a 1 month from animal services so definitely my friendliest chick yet since I’ve handled her since a baby.

Thank you so much for your opinion and extra knowledge - just got into chickens in the last 6 months and it’s definitely been a roller coaster.
Bearding gene inhibits wattle size.. but with the color, I'm actually a little on the fence about the white/frizzle one.. thinking it could still be a later maturing boy.

The elder one.. is definitely pullet as confirmed by her saddle feathers which on non hen feathered breeds are usually coming in around 12 weeks but well by 16 in most cases..

View attachment 3246211
View attachment 3246222
Some verified roosters have not crowed until 18+ months old. One Silkie boy I hatched was crowing in the brooder at 3.5 weeks old!

Do you think both are pullets aswell? I hate and love at the same time that I’m in the silkie and Polish birds - but I find them so dang hard to sex.

I didn’t know my current 6 month old silkie was a rooster until he grew flyers. His waddles still haven’t come in and he’s just started crowing
I've had a tough time with the mail order EE. I have another cockerel who will be needing to rehome.

I've had a tough time with the mail order EE. I have another cockerel who will be needing to rehome.
My Polish rooster needs to go. He just beat up my silkie mix pullet….. so far the silkie rooster is good. Always been good for handling and I am able to put him in his place when he pecks me.

Where as I have no control over my Polish rooster…. And he’s way too big for my flock

My Polish rooster needs to go. He just beat up my silkie mix pullet….. so far the silkie rooster is good. Always been good for handling and I am able to put him in his place when he pecks me.

Where as I have no control over my Polish rooster…. And he’s way too big for my flock
If he is mean to your girls AND you one of the girls or you will suffer a great consequence. You wouldn't want to rehome him in case he could come into contact with a child.

If he is mean to your girls AND you one of the girls or you will suffer a great consequence. You wouldn't want to rehome him in case he could come into contact with a child.

Agreed, I got him at 8 weeks and he’s never been aggressive towards humans or the girls until now he’s turned on the girls.

He was handled by me since 8 weeks so I guess there’s not much I can do. He’s just scared shitless of people.

That’s great news! What would those little bumps be on the inside of their legs?

I can’t feel them on my other silkie pullet but feel them on my black silkie cockerel
Most chickens grow them. It’s a species feature. The males will have SIGNIFICANT spurs. We trim our Silkie roo. His are noticeable…I put the little covers on them so he wouldn’t hurt the girls so much.
5FAAF58B-1AC5-4B7B-90DB-05D19AE08E44.jpeg

Do you think both are pullets aswell? I hate and love at the same time that I’m in the silkie and Polish birds - but I find them so dang hard to sex.

I didn’t know my current 6 month old silkie was a rooster until he grew flyers. His waddles still haven’t come in and he’s just started crowing
Yes, I do - I hesitated to say, mostly because I don't have experience with silkies. But based on what I've seen here on BYC, and my polish & houdans, I would honestly have said yes.
I'm fairly new with chicks, though.
I DO know that bearded birds don't really room to grow wattles, I've been studying their chins closely - they're almost 19 wks - been looking for signs of Point of Laying (POL) !! Waiting for 12 pullets 😵‍💫

Yes, I do - I hesitated to say, mostly because I don't have experience with silkies. But based on what I've seen here on BYC, and my polish & houdans, I would honestly have said yes.
I'm fairly new with chicks, though.
I DO know that bearded birds don't really room to grow wattles, I've been studying their chins closely - they're almost 19 wks - been looking for signs of Point of Laying (POL) !! Waiting for 12 pullets 😵‍💫
Silkies have definitely been the hardest to sex for me compared to my Polish. The Polish seem to mature a lot faster than the silkies. My Silkie rooster who is 6 months old and is already crowing still doesn’t have any waddles or red accents of a typical cockerel. He only has the flyers and tail feathers of a roo.

Back
Top Bottom