Are these Cubalaya chicks? NEW PICS ADDED!

shelleyb1969

Star Bright Farm
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Brown City, Michigan (Thumb)
And if so, are they brown red or red pyle? They're from Sand Hill Preservation and those are my 2 color options. I've never had Cubalaya, I know nothing about them, and therefore am totally clueless.
hu.gif
But I'm growing very fond of these friendly little fuzzies.
love.gif

13587_hpim0790.jpg

13587_hpim0791.jpg

13587_hpim0795.jpg

13587_hpim0794.jpg

Last edited:
They're quite young and really not in the right pose to tell what the chick is. That's wind blowing on them right?

I usually can trust Sandhill to give the right breed though.

Quote:
Nope, that's not the wind blowing. That's how their feathers are growing in. The one almost looks frizzled. Are there any distinguishing traits that Cubalaya chicks have? I know absolutely zilch about them.

Thanks Illia.

Hard to tell on the first picture but the bird in picture 4 isn't a Cubalaya it might be a Cubalaya cross but not a pure Cubalaya.
The bird in picture 4 has a single comb and Cubalaya have a pea comb.
Neither one is a Red Pyle so I would say they are some type of Brown Red from what I can see right know there not going to be very good Brown Reds...

Chris

Cubalayas alone are pretty rare, but I have never heard of frizzled Cubalayas. That's like frizzled Orloffs.
tongue.png

I would say either they have some sort of growth problem and it is causing the frizzling, or they're crossbred/not Cubalayas.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

With the quality of the other chicks I received from Sand Hill this year, I really won't be surprised if they're mutts.
ep.gif

And I've been told Sandhill actually has better quality than other hatcheries. . . .
roll.png
What a disappointment.

And all the more reason I'm against them.
tongue.png

Here's new pics of my guys at 8 weeks old...they look VERY different. Sand Hill does have black breasted red Cubalaya...is that what these are? Maybe they sent me the wrong color instead of the wrong breed?

13587_hpim1028.jpg

13587_hpim1034.jpg

Back
Top Bottom