Are these Cubalaya chicks? NEW PICS ADDED!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shelleyb1969, Sep 16, 2010.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

And if so, are they brown red or red pyle? They're from Sand Hill Preservation and those are my 2 color options. I've never had Cubalaya, I know nothing about them, and therefore am totally clueless. [​IMG] But I'm growing very fond of these friendly little fuzzies. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. shelleyb1969

Wow....Cubalaya owners must be as rare as the chicken itself. [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They're quite young and really not in the right pose to tell what the chick is. That's wind blowing on them right?

I usually can trust Sandhill to give the right breed though.

4. shelleyb1969

Quote:Nope, that's not the wind blowing. That's how their feathers are growing in. The one almost looks frizzled. Are there any distinguishing traits that Cubalaya chicks have? I know absolutely zilch about them.

Thanks Illia.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Hard to tell on the first picture but the bird in picture 4 isn't a Cubalaya it might be a Cubalaya cross but not a pure Cubalaya.
    The bird in picture 4 has a single comb and Cubalaya have a pea comb.
    Neither one is a Red Pyle so I would say they are some type of Brown Red from what I can see right know there not going to be very good Brown Reds...

Chris

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cubalayas alone are pretty rare, but I have never heard of frizzled Cubalayas. That's like frizzled Orloffs. [​IMG]

I would say either they have some sort of growth problem and it is causing the frizzling, or they're crossbred/not Cubalayas.

7. shelleyb1969

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

With the quality of the other chicks I received from Sand Hill this year, I really won't be surprised if they're mutts. [​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

With the quality of the other chicks I received from Sand Hill this year, I really won't be surprised if they're mutts. [​IMG]

And I've been told Sandhill actually has better quality than other hatcheries. . . . [​IMG] What a disappointment.

And all the more reason I'm against them. [​IMG]

9. shelleyb1969

Here's new pics of my guys at 8 weeks old...they look VERY different. Sand Hill does have black breasted red Cubalaya...is that what these are? Maybe they sent me the wrong color instead of the wrong breed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    NOW they look like Cubalayas. . . But those are Wheatens, not BBRs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by