Are these emu eggs fertile? Hatchalong

Pics
Ok, poor little bugger, for educational purposes… don’t click spoiler if you don’t want to see a dead chick with a small deformity.

Just to clarify, the hole that the mass is attached to is not in the center of its body. It just under its leg.

Looks like a very severe hernia to me.

I’m sure I could do a little more digging, but I’m so sore from Sunday that I can’t do much extra. Let alone bend my knee! But I would lean towards a hernia. It looks like the hole that’s usually in the center of the belly is way off to the side. It was done absorbing the yolk and had a few more blood vessels to dry up.

After the one successful assisted hatch, I’m going to stay away from helping these little ones. From what I’ve read, their blood vessels being ruptured can kill them almost instantly if they’re not ready. Unlike chickens, where you can blot it dry and everything’s fine. That’s why I haven’t opened any that we’re still alive but past their hatch date.

Update on the babies…

They went on a little outing today. Found an old towel, laundry basket and put them in to get them to the garden. They definitely enjoyed the weeds and sun.

7D56F7B5-0410-4679-B94E-482E55A1AEB4.jpeg

BD5B4E1C-B3E0-40C5-A2AB-BF1800C9644A.jpeg

B313EC2E-FA0F-41DB-B0FF-CE0D4660DA22.jpeg

When are the next eggs supposed to hatch?
Potentially today. One is level, not leaning towards a heavy end. Which means it’s through the membrane and taking up the entire egg now. The second one is still leaning. The egg is small, so not sure if it’s going to cause a problem.
Oh! And when are you getting these DNA sexed? Or are they all DNA sexed?
I have been checking their website for results all day! 4 of the dna samples are “currently testing” since yesterday morning at 9:07am. One sample just went in the mail yesterday and another is ready to go out today. Should hopefully know something soon 🤞🏻

I have been checking their website for results all day! 4 of the dna samples are “currently testing” since yesterday morning at 9:07am. One sample just went in the mail yesterday and another is ready to go out today. Should hopefully know something soon 🤞🏻
that is great that you were able to find homes for them all even before you had that information. Hope it is done soon for you!!!!!!!

that is great that you were able to find homes for them all even before you had that information. Hope it is done soon for you!!!!!!!
Thanks! The genetics place actually called me to tell me the results were in. 3 males, 1 female. Still waiting for two more results to come back, one sample hasn’t left the house yet, but the guy wants them regardless.

I’m considering getting two kangaroos 🤗 I don’t need them, but I could trade chicks to this guy next year for joeys.

😈

Back
Top Bottom