are these good chickens?

cpwhip

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
Maryland
I was offered 6 Red Sexlinks from a local guy to get started, I know they are Hybrid
and I read they don't breed true but I really don't know what that means.
any advise would be great.
thanks

These hybrids are bred primarily for the commercial brown egg market. Yes, they are friendly and lay like machines, at least most strains.

I'm wondering how old they are?

As for breeding, they aren't a breed, but a mutt, so breeding them produces an inconsistent coloration, ie not "true". When these first generation RSLs were hatched, the hatchery could sex them easily because the white chicks were roos and the reddish chicks were pullets. This will not hold "true" next time, if there is a next time.

Last edited:
here is what the guy is telling me. I am such a newb I don't know much and I'm starting to get confused.
"Chickens are really the easiest and most delightful farm animals to have. Six would probably be perfect but if you get six of these started chicks from me, begin saving your egg cartons because you will need them! Together, the six of them will lay at least 5 eggs every day all winter, all spring, all summer. Then you replace them again next fall and you will continue having eggs everyday, all year long. It's in the second winter that ALL chickens go into a molt where they will lose all their feathers, quit laying eggs, and just be there consuming feed for about 2.5 months. I like chickens that lay lots of eggs. 24 of these girls will be my replacement flock when they mature. Don't worry about the different breeds. You'll love these chickens (they are red sexlinks) and they will love your chicken coop and you. What you DON'T want to do is buy barnyard mutts and mixes from people who hatch their own "cute little chicks" because at least half of those you purchase will be roosters and you don't want that. All of the other CL postings are for just that: straight run chicks, as they are called. These girls of mine are vent sexed from a nationally certified NPIP hatchery and should be all female. I say that because occasionally the "sexers" do make a mistake. But not very often. So come see me after you get the coop and a small bag of 20% protein chick starter feed. And besides all that, I am only an email away in case you have a question, even after the sale. I am a poultry expert, not just a store sales clerk like at Tractor Supply."
here's the ad it doesn't say how old they are.
http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/grd/2465073977.html

Yep. Sounds about right. She/he sounds like a good source for info. Sounds like a good starter set of chickens. Enjoy them!

Not sure about the age and the heat thing. Until they are feathered out at about 6 weeks, they need access to an area that is draft free and ... well, you should look it up in the Learning Center here at Backyard Chickens. See very top menu. Maybe it's warm where you are even at night.

Those little bags of feed are sometimes old. Check the manufacture date. Feed should be less than 3-4 months old or the vitamins lose their potency and the grains go rancid. You need fresh feed for babies to develop properly.

cpwhip--

sounds like a good deal to me. Especially too since the seller is willing to provide after sales answers via email, if I understood correctly.

IMO you cannot go wrong with sexlinks. They can begin laying at 16 weeks and produce a lot of beautiful brown large eggs.

welcome!

Good luck with the chicken adventure and keep learning --

Thanks for all the advise, I emailed him and asked how old the chicks are,
I don't think he would say that I could take them unless its safe for the chicks
atleast I hope not he also know what kind of coop I plan to use. when I find out their are I will post it.
I really appreciate your help.

Back
Top Bottom