Are these Runners?

jacobsenbd

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 17, 2010
Colorado
Hi everyone -
We've recently adopted 3 wild ducklings that are approximately 1 month old. My guess is that they are Runners from pics I've seen but we're new to ducks and are unsure. Also, when they feather out (they're just starting) will they change color much?

57839_ducks1.jpg

57839_ducks2.jpg

57839_ducks3.jpg

Thanks for your help!

DJ

No, those are Black Swedish ducks. They are certainly not Runners.
smile.png
And you say they are wild? Black Swedich ducks are a domestic breed. Cute ducks!
big_smile.png

Someone may have dumped them in the park, but they aren't wild ducks. Looks swedish to me too...possibly magpie? You will love having them
big_smile.png

Last edited:
They're adorable! And I agree on Swedish--they don't look anything like my magpies, but they might be poorly marked magpies. Still, I'm going with Swedish.

Congrats, and kudoes. Those poor babies needed a home--domestic breeds don't do well in the wild, and you've given them a good home. Good job.
smile.png

Oh yah. Those aren't wild babies. Someone probably dumped them. Grrrrrrr that makes me so mad.
somad.gif
Good on you for giving them a home!!
hugs.gif
I'm saying some kind of swedish cross maybe? Seem to be marked a little funny to be full swedish. It will be interesting to see as they grow up.

Sorry, I misspoke about them being wild - we knew they were domestic ducks, they just come from a farm where they are not pets at all. They don't have any socialization with the owners.
hmm.png

When they were younger they stood more upright, that's why we thought they might be Runners. Guess we were way off!
roll.png

They are getting more and more used to us so that's good. When they are bigger we will try introducing them to our chickens.

Thanks for the responses!

DJ

Back
Top Bottom