Are these Runners?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jacobsenbd, Jul 28, 2010.

1. jacobsenbd

jacobsenbd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Colorado
    Hi everyone -
    We've recently adopted 3 wild ducklings that are approximately 1 month old. My guess is that they are Runners from pics I've seen but we're new to ducks and are unsure. Also, when they feather out (they're just starting) will they change color much?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

DJ

2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    No, those are Black Swedish ducks. They are certainly not Runners. [​IMG] And you say they are wild? Black Swedich ducks are a domestic breed. Cute ducks! [​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Someone may have dumped them in the park, but they aren't wild ducks. Looks swedish to me too...possibly magpie? You will love having them [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  4. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    Yeah, runners stand straight up and down when they walk. They look like bowling pins on feet. [​IMG]

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    They're adorable! And I agree on Swedish--they don't look anything like my magpies, but they might be poorly marked magpies. Still, I'm going with Swedish.

Congrats, and kudoes. Those poor babies needed a home--domestic breeds don't do well in the wild, and you've given them a good home. Good job. [​IMG]

6. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Oh yah. Those aren't wild babies. Someone probably dumped them. Grrrrrrr that makes me so mad.[​IMG] Good on you for giving them a home!![​IMG] I'm saying some kind of swedish cross maybe? Seem to be marked a little funny to be full swedish. It will be interesting to see as they grow up.

7. jacobsenbd

jacobsenbd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Colorado
    Sorry, I misspoke about them being wild - we knew they were domestic ducks, they just come from a farm where they are not pets at all. They don't have any socialization with the owners. [​IMG]

When they were younger they stood more upright, that's why we thought they might be Runners. Guess we were way off! [​IMG]

They are getting more and more used to us so that's good. When they are bigger we will try introducing them to our chickens.

Thanks for the responses!

DJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by