are your dogs and chicken friends

I'm not sure if i answered this post or not, but yes. Both dogs will actually protect our flock. I have a golden retriever(trained bird dog) and and Australian shepherd.

I wouldn't call them friends yet but they tolerate one another. I was worried at first because my black lab hunts birds and rabbits so I feared she'd do the same with them. But she's really gentle and protective with them. My chug weighs 18 pounds and gets chased and pecked a lot especially when stealing their food. They seem to work it out and I love seeing all of them hanging out in the yard together.

Also, both dogs chase the neighbor's cows away when they come too close to the fence. It makes me laugh that my little chug will cower from a hen but will chase down 50 cows without fear.

My Cavalier does great with my girls. Our lab/cocker mix does okay, but I don't trust her alone with them yet. The Husky....forget it. All he sees is food hes managed to wipe out our entire flock 3 times this year he gone though the coop, and flipped a portable coop, the shock collar fencing has been our best bet. He still wants to eat them but knows hes a "bad dog" for trying to get them.

My Buster dog absolutely loves "His Girls" we can be in the other room and all I have to say is, "How's your girls?" He will run to the brooder and watch to see if anything is wrong. In fact the chair you see him setting on is a permanent fixture by the box just for him.

adorable!

I don't know about "friends" but the dog doesn't try to hurt the chickens, in fact, he is afraid of them! Don't tell him I told you so, he would never forgive me!
hide.gif

My silkie roo has my boxer terrified to go out in the yard when he is out. It's funny to see a 100 lb dog that is all muscle scared to death of a 1 1/2 lb chicken. Yet my 5 lb Maltese just snaps at him if he gets nasty with him.

mine tolerate each other which is as good as I could hope. It was doubtful they'd ever be in the yard together but with some time and a little training, it's all worked out.
I'm happy the chickens stick up for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom