Arizona Chickens

Naked Necks have a number of plusses going for them. Heat tolerance one of the biggest. They are also more disease resistant, and have less feathers on other parts of their body too, you just can't see it because the feathers they do have fluff out well to cover the bare spots. But because of that they make a great dual purpose meat chicken because they're easier to pluck. And they have character... :D:cool::love

Boy do they have character!

I love the Naked Necks in AZ. Yes, they are kind of "weird" looking but they DO lay more in the heat.

The proof is in the chicks! Whenever I try and hatch chicks during hot times, invariably the chicks end up being more Naked Neck. For example, I only had about 5 NN hens and 1 NN rooster, out of about 20 layers overall and 4 roosters, but these chicks that I hatched in October were about HALF Naked Necks - which means the hens that were laying the most during that time were NN's. This isn't the first time I've done this experiment, a couple years ago I had someone request chicks in June/July and I told her I'd *try* to hatch for her - and over half were NN's even though only 5 of the 25 hens that I had at the time were NN's.

Here's a couple of my October babies now:
DSCN0707.JPG
DSCN0709.JPG

Can it be that your NN rooster was more proficient than your other 4:idunno

Yes, it's possible. However, this has been observed before when there was no NN rooster in the pen. Only the 5 hens.

I've also had the NN hens separated into a breeder pen and have had more eggs in there during hot periods.

This isn't a rumor or speculation, there was a study and it was found that NN's were the best breed for African climates, when they studied and researched what chicken breeds would do best to help rural communities struggling with hunger. The NN's were the best performers in hot desert climates.

If you can get over the appearance, NN's will perform better in our summer heat than many "regular" breeds.

If you can get over the appearance:love, NN's will perform better in our summer heat than many "regular" breeds.
I LUV the way NN look. I only keep chickens as pets, and when I'm sitting on the patio watching my flock grazing, Peeps passing on the street with their children always stop and look. Some also ask questions.:) I'm also limited to the number I can keep. I would like a copy of each breed available. Hens only since of the restrictions here.

The new chick dried off and I moved it down into the brooder today. It has a fully feathered neck, and it like a silvery/light blue with darker grey chipmunk stripes down it's back. It's the first chick that has hatched out with this color and pattern, so I have to see how it feathers and grows out.

Back
Top Bottom