Arizona Chickens

haven't decided yet if I'll keep the ebay group off to themselves so I don't taint the breed. We'll see, it would mean a different coop and run for them. probably more of a pain in the butt than it's worth
You will not taint the breed if you follow this simple process many use.
When you think you want to have more chicks,,,,, and bred a certain way, you separate the choice hens for about 3 weeks with no roosters. You then place desired rooster in with the hens of your choice. The eggs will be fertile with that roosters genes. Carefully incubate only those eggs ,,, and you have your UNTAINTED chick breed. Once you are finished hatching,,,, you let all chickens socialize together again.
Alflock is a good choice of feed that I have used for a very long time. Make sure that you have oyster shells available free-choice. You only need Chickstarter for baby chicks,,, and use crumbles. (pretty sure that is only way it comes)
I use Alflock because some of my hens do not lay frequently since they are seniors. I don't have any roosters, and cant, due to local regulations.

@cavemanrich , thanks for the info on them breeding.. I've been using alflock and wondering if it's that or the heat that has slowed down production. Have only been getting 4 to 5 eggs per day, that is low for the number of hens that I have of laying age, of course though my original sex links are almost 4 now ( 10 of 16 ), have another 8 that should start laying in the next month or so.. have a small trash can full of oyster shell, sent the hubby to get layer pellets with the oyster shell strength, think its the Purina brand, he came back with a 40 or 50 pound bag of oyster shell, I keep it available to them, they keep the bowl kicked over..lol.. Have about 30lb of the chick starter left.. where I normally buy the smaller bags, hubby grabbed the large one. I've got the new chicks on the starter. So far have only gotten 7 out of the 21 that I set in the big incubator (24 ct) my 6 in the small one, no action as of yet, but the humidity is staying stable, which has been a indicator of hatching before. So fingers crossed on that one.

Need suggestions, I know oyster shells are good sources of calcium, I know you can feed them their shells back, if the shells are thin to begin with, how much good is that going to do? my hens have oyster shell available 24/7, their favorite past time is playing boot the bowl.. so I've got it all over the run, I toss their scratch out there, so they have to be getting a little bit, yet I am finding thin shells, any idea on how to slip them more and they don't know it?

Need suggestions, I know oyster shells are good sources of calcium, I know you can feed them their shells back, if the shells are thin to begin with, how much good is that going to do? my hens have oyster shell available 24/7, their favorite past time is playing boot the bowl.. so I've got it all over the run, I toss their scratch out there, so they have to be getting a little bit, yet I am finding thin shells, any idea on how to slip them more and they don't know it?
Mine won't eat either oyster or egg shells.... I keep trying, but they just ignore them

Mine won't eat either oyster or egg shells.... I keep trying, but they just ignore them
I just got this brainstorm,,,,:caf
I see BlueBaby just posted a good suggestion above.:thumbsup
My thought is,,,,, Take a handful of oyster shells and mix them with a couple of eggs. Mix like for omelet. Then fry that mix , and serve. To chickens.:old

Back
Top Bottom