Arizona Chickens

At the end of the year, the 3G's will no longer be working. I don't want to upgrade to the 5G, so I guess that I will have to do the 4G. I haven't turned on my 3G at all for a couple of year's now. I prefer to use my home phone landline, and if I don't catch it in time or I don't recognize the number o the caller ID, the message can go to the answeringA machine.
Landline! Answering machine! I remember those!

There were some fierce winds mainly from the north yesterday afternoon. Broke the condensate line in half, rotated it and knocked it off the roof. No chicken damage though, even my tarps seem OK.
There was wind and dust here, but the storm spent itself before the rain got here.

A couple trees self-pruned in the storm yesterday afternoon. Here's the big one. The branches on the ground are about 1/3 of the tree.View attachment 3280601
Yes, sometimes those high wind's can be wicked. That's why we don't want any tree's too close to our house. If there's no tree it can't fall on the roof.

I just took a walk around the yard, and for the most part thing's look ok. Lost a few shingles off the roof from the wind, and I now have a kiddy swimming pool in my yard from somewhere. I guess someone didn't have any weight in it to keep it from flying?
You see kiddie pool, I see "another wading pool for the birds" :)

There were no eggs at Costco yesterday, of any kind. They were completely out. I've never seen that before. I drove around and all of the stores I went to were out of eggs. The employees I talked to said none are being delivered.

I finally found some at a Walmart - $8 per dozen!! There were only a few left. I bought one.

I hope this motivates my roommate to finally help me build that chicken coop this fall!

Last edited:
There were no eggs at Costco yesterday, of any kind. They were completely out. I've never seen that before. I drove around and all of the stores I went to were out of eggs. The employees I talked to said none are being delivered.

I finally found some at a Walmart - $8 per dozen!! There were only a few left. I bought one.

I hope this motivates my housemate to help me build that chicken coop this fall!
Wow.

I hope this motivates my roommate to finally help me build that chicken coop this fall!
Maybe they shipped stuff like that over to Florida after the hurricane? Could you build the coop without your roommate's help? It look's like they don't want to do it since it's been this long.

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about maybe they went to hurricane affected areas! That would make sense. We need to clean up the backyard (monsoon weeds) and level out the ground then put up the coop. I would definitely need help. The coop is 12x9 as it comes but I want to expand it to 12x18 to house up to 20 hens. We have most of the materials (2x4s, t-posts, hardware, metal frame, litter, toys, feeders, waterers, nest box pads and curtains, etc.). We still need plywood and hardware cloth, which are the most expensive items.

It's been years. She's the homeowner and has the tools and the final say. There's a lot of stuff that needs to be done around the house. She would like a coop and eggs but she's been getting other stuff done first and a coop is not at the top of the list. Also, we've had a serious increase in crime here over the past two years, including stuff stolen right out of our yard in the middle of the day (in summer!) and we're both a little concerned that someone might steal the hens.

Back
Top Bottom