Arkansas folks speak up.........

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by wranglerFB, Mar 9, 2008.

1. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    Quote:Jim can you give me a address for the Pine Bluff show so I can google it.

thanks

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:The only heritage on your list I've ever grown before is the Cherokee Purple. Nice tomato but I did not find it very prolific. This year, I have:

Mr. Stripey
    Black Krim
    Japanese Black
    Rutgers
    Jubilee
    Sweet Tangerine

I'm also growing a couple of hybrids, Big Mama paste and Burpee's 4th of July. I usually pick up a few at the University of Arkansas Horticulture Club Plant Sale in Fayetteville in mid to late April. I'll be looking specifically for a Brandywine and a cherry, plus whatever else strikes my fancy that day. That's where I originally got the Sweet Tangerine and Japanese Black.

To me, the Japanese Black is an extremely great tasting tomato but it would not work for a roadside stand. It is too soft.

If you haven't done it already, you might want to check out the sister site, TheEasyGarden.com forum. Just click at the bottom of the screen.

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
  4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:I'm trying to imagine what a Hillbilly tomatoes looks like. I'm thinking maybe kind of scrawny, longer than it is wide, maybe with some tobacco juice dripping down its chin. [​IMG]

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
  6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I've done Mr stripey . The plant did very well. Pretty tomatoe.
    Thanks for the list.

Quote:The only heritage on your list I've ever grown before is the Cherokee Purple. Nice tomato but I did not find it very prolific. This year, I have:

Mr. Stripey
    Black Krim
    Japanese Black
    Rutgers
    Jubilee
    Sweet Tangerine

I'm also growing a couple of hybrids, Big Mama paste and Burpee's 4th of July. I usually pick up a few at the University of Arkansas Horticulture Club Plant Sale in Fayetteville in mid to late April. I'll be looking specifically for a Brandywine and a cherry, plus whatever else strikes my fancy that day. That's where I originally got the Sweet Tangerine and Japanese Black.

To me, the Japanese Black is an extremely great tasting tomato but it would not work for a roadside stand. It is too soft.

If you haven't done it already, you might want to check out the sister site, TheEasyGarden.com forum. Just click at the bottom of the screen.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  7. Ozark Chicken

Ozark Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Thanks Har and Tala.
    I had thought about cedar chips but I was told it was a big No No. Traylor shavings is out on hwy 16 toward siloam. They supply commercial houses and I thought I'd see if they would sell just a pickup load at a time. Its more than I need but often its cheap enough to be worthwhile. plus maybe I can pile it up in a barn for future use. I'm south of fayetteville near the Oklahoma line

8. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  9. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:I'm outside Prairie Grove, just a little to the east. How close are you?

Cedar shavings can give off fumes that can hurt the chicks respiratory system. Building with cedar is fine. The shavings have so much surface area that they can give off a lot of fumes but cedar lumber does not have that much surface area.

10. Ozark Chicken

Ozark Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Very close LOL I'm south of canehill in Morrow area. I'm in Prairie Grove every day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by