Arsenic in Dirt?

Quella

Songster
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
http://www.tpchd.org/page.php?id=111
If
you're in Washington, you've probably seen the commercial "Dirt Alert". I just recently saw it, and apparently there might be lead or arsenic in the dirt. Would this affect chickens? I just have started letting my two chicks outside so I'm a little worried that they might be especially vulnerable to this.
Let me know, two of my chicken-keeping friends also are worried as well.

I wouldn't worry about it. But if you are you can have your soil tested. There's a couple of differant labs in the Seattle / Tukwilla area that could do it.
But in my opinion if your going to worry about arsenic in your soil you may as well worry about lead from old paint chips, asbestos from old building materials, hydrocarbons from fuels and oils that vehicles and lawnmowers may have leaked, you could also worry about dioxins produced from old burn piles or naturaly occuring radioactive materials.
Don't even get me started on the disease and viruses that may be lurking in the soil.
But unless you live on 3 mile island or an old salvage yard I wouldn't worry about any of that and just let your chickens be chickens and peck in the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom