Assil or Shamo? Hen or rooster?

HeathBar28

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2023
I rescued this guy when he was about a week old. Found him in my yard, scalped. Thought he was a regular chicken. When he was 3 weeks i paid to have his head stitched shut as his skull was showing and it was getting worse. the vets thought he was a turkey lol. he is 12 weeks old now. no crowing yet. I dont know if it's a he or she? he has started getting fiesty. if i cross my legs he attacks my foot lol. his neck feathers raise up and he runs/stomps his feet then attacks with feet then beak lol. I think it’s playful but scary 🤣. Anyway if anyone can help me with breed and gender that would be amazing. He is my baby! Or she, lol. Name is big bird, 12 weeks old. The tuft of feathers on the side of his head is from the stitches lol

Attachments

• IMG_4586.jpeg
    IMG_4586.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_4694.jpeg
    IMG_4694.jpeg
    755.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4690.jpeg
    IMG_4690.jpeg
    799.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4684.jpeg
    IMG_4684.jpeg
    929.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4680.jpeg
    IMG_4680.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4619.jpeg
    IMG_4619.jpeg
    784 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4621.jpeg
    IMG_4621.jpeg
    813.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4600.jpeg
    IMG_4600.jpeg
    561.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4597.jpeg
    IMG_4597.jpeg
    892.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4587.jpeg
    IMG_4587.jpeg
    714.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_4605.jpeg
    IMG_4605.jpeg
    742.9 KB · Views: 39
if i cross my legs he attacks my foot lol. his neck feathers raise up and he runs/stomps his feet then attacks with feet then beak lol. I think it’s playful but scary
That's not playful, that is called a cockerel becoming aggressive. Chickens rarely play with anything unless they are curious, especially other animals. You need to stop that behavior.

That's not playful, that is called a cockerel becoming aggressive. Chickens rarely play with anything unless they are curious, especially other animals. You need to stop that behavior.
When he does it I tell him no and guide him away with my hand, pet his face to calm him down, is that the right way to handle it?

When he does it I tell him no and guide him away with my hand, pet his face to calm him down, is that the right way to handle it?
Pinning him is the best way to tell a cockerel that what he is doing is not allowed. You can do this by placing the cockerel on his stomach, pinning him to the ground, and putting your two fingers in a V shape from the back of his neck to the front, making sure his head stays on the ground. It is harder to do this with a tall breed like Asil or Shamo, but it's necessary to stop bad behavior. Remember to never place a bird on their back (proper pinning is done with the stomach on the ground); when this happens, their ribs compress on their organs and they can stop breathing at any moment.

Pinning him is the best way to tell a cockerel that what he is doing is not allowed. You can do this by placing the cockerel on his stomach, pinning him to the ground, and putting your two fingers in a V shape from the back of his neck to the front, making sure his head stays on the ground. It is harder to do this with a tall breed like Asil or Shamo, but it's necessary to stop bad behavior. Remember to never place a bird on their back (proper pinning is done with the stomach on the ground); when this happens, their ribs compress on their organs and they can stop breathing at any moment.
Okay thank you so much!!!!

This is very much male dependent (I've tried this with zero success, like any other form of "punishment" for that matter). Let's also remember that this is a gamefowl, not a regular chicken. I've yet to see a human aggressive gamefowl, and I doubt that this will be it

Back
Top Bottom