At what age can you sex D'Uccle and Polish?

I sold 6 d'Uccle I hatched to a friend and kept 3. Mine all turned out to be pullets, she ended up with 3 of each. She said it was obvious who was what by about 4 weeks. Mine also looked very girly by that time. It's possible you may be able to tell earlier.

Our bantam polish was looking girly at about 5 or six weeks, but I will not be sure until I continue not to hear a crow for another few months. About 90% of those who saw her on my post said pullet.

These are both such nice breeds, especially the Polish. My daughter holds it all the time and it just settles down and ejoys!
big_smile.png

My polish chicks are about 7 weeks right now and I'm starting to see enough difference in their poofs to sex them. Unfortunately, it's looking like mostly roos too
barnie.gif

Nice. I picked them up yesterday from Ideal, and I only want to keep hens. The guy at the feed store had told me not until 5-6 months! Your numbers sound much more encouraging
smile.png

I currently have six Mille Fleur D'uccles that are seven weeks old. I had a pretty good idea that three were males by the third week -- by the fourth week I was certain.

i don't have any good pictures right now. I've been using my iphone to take pictures of them in the brooder, and the red light messes with the clarity. I just got them yesterday, and I'm trying to let them de-stress and do their chicky-thing, so all my pictures are fuzzy group shots (I have four breeds right now). Believe me, when I get some good shots I'll be posting them so everyone ooh and aww over them
smile.png

Polish you can sex real young.I found my roos by 2-3 weeks old.The boys poofs are much more uneven and wild than the girls well kept more even poof

I'm interested in this, too, since this is my first year raising d'Uccles. I gave away two that I thought were cockerels based on their comb development (compared with their two siblings that I kept, believing them to be girls). But the person I gave them to thinks they're actually pullets. I guess we'll see in another couple of months when they either start to lay or don't.

Back
Top Bottom