Attaching Plastic/Tarps to a Run - Show me your methods!

Aug 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
As some of us already know, the winter months are upon us. Nows the time the snow always flies before we have everything weatherproofed! I know some of us have been getting snow for a while (I understand your pain with what he had gotten before the warm front moved in) so you might already have things set up, please let me pick your brain! :bow

I plan to cover my main coop’s run in a clear/transparent plastic like I have done to my little coop’s run. I stapled the first stuff on as it was just some plastic being thrown out at an old job site my father worked on. I’m curious to see the ways people attach the plastic/tarps to their runs when you want to reuse the materials for next year!

I have seen some good ways to attach corrugated panels but not a lot on plastic sheets/tarps. The snow is starting back up and the wind is too bad leaving the pop door open without the run having at least a wind break so I don’t get a coop full of blowing snow!! We got 5-7 foot snow drifts across our property last year. :th The pop door is not on the best side for avoiding prevailing winds, I can make it work for the winter months until I do some adjustments to the run come spring (complete walk in :fl) since it’s not the most secure and drainage will be an issue in spring as well.

This is my first (Canadian) winter keeping chickens in their own stand alone building where they get a run in the winter. I can get some pretty strong blowing winds so I’m hoping some good ideas for materials will be mentioned here! I would appreciate all the tips and tricks from beginners to 10 year+ flock owners, what worked, what didn’t, what produced minor flaws, etc.! Thank you for reading all of this and I appreciate any response you have, I’ll shush up now :duc

Hope you get lots of advice......I don't have snow, but do have lots of wind sometimes and rain blowing sideways, I use these for windbreaks, attached to my run with zip-ties, holes made in the plastic with a soldering iron, awl, or leather punch. Panels cut easily to make whatever size. It's very resilient, mine have lasted years.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Parkland-P...bossed-White-Matte-Plastic-Wall-Panel/3436816

I like clear plastic. It lets me see in and lets the chicks see out. I use cheap store bath curtains. You might want something stronger. The method i use to attach i like. I tape the bottoms and tops to a 1x3 inch board. Wrap the plastic around the board. Then screw in place. I use large washers to help prevent tearing. Works pretty well. Here is a picture before installation.

Attachments

• 20191123_122805.jpg
    20191123_122805.jpg
    932.8 KB · Views: 226
Hope you get lots of advice......I don't have snow, but do have lots of wind sometimes and rain blowing sideways, I use these for windbreaks, attached to my run with zip-ties, holes made in the plastic with a soldering iron, awl, or leather punch. Panels cut easily to make whatever size. It's very resilient, mine have lasted years.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Parkland-P...bossed-White-Matte-Plastic-Wall-Panel/3436816
You do not take yours down? How does it affect the summer months in the heat? Do you have any photos by chance? Thank you!

I like clear plastic. It lets me see in and lets the chicks see out. I use cheap store bath curtains. You might want something stronger. The method i use to attach i like. I tape the bottoms and tops to a 1x3 inch board. Wrap the plastic around the board. Then screw in place. I use large washers to help prevent tearing. Works pretty well. Here is a picture before installation.
I really Like the idea of using a board to hold it on, it seems like you can get it right tight to the fencing more without weird bubbling or creases. I’m not as worried about them seeing out vs me seeing in because once it gets more into the season I probably won’t be able to see into the run at their height anyways with all the snow piling around it :lol: Do you have photos of it attached to your run?

Here is a picture. You will notice to the right it is installed well. To the left, not so much. The left side I was cold and rushing. So I did a half a@$ job. I have had to repair that section already. If you zoom in, you can see the wrapping and the washers.

Attachments

• JPEG_20191202_142217_5534852975343645794.jpg
    JPEG_20191202_142217_5534852975343645794.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 225
I use lathe strips to attach plastic to the runs. I use 3 screws/washers per, I think, 8’ strip of lathe. Zoom in on the back run and see the lathe strip at the top. This year I didn’t use the strips to put the plastic on my big run (only screws and washers) and you can see the slack in the plastic. Had I used the lathe strips those cascades in the plastic wouldn’t be there.

Mostly I use the 20’ x 100’ roll of 6 mil clear plastic sheeting. It is not completely clear so I also use a couple of the heavy duty shower liners for the front of my little coop/run combo. The 6 mil is not cheap, but I am able to use the same plastic for 2-3 years. I also use the same screws, washers and lathe strips. I just wash the plastic and let it dry before folding it up and storing until the next winter. I put the screws/washers in a mason jar and store as well. Make sure though to keep proper ventilation wherever you put the plastic.

Remember, chickens can keep themselves warm as long as they can remain dry and out of the wind.
AE9CFBAE-3A91-4C15-BB8B-9A4D51454A7C.jpeg

Here is one, I only have three places up in this picture. These stay up all year, the smaller one keeps a feed/grit station dry, the larger are wind/rain breaks and help keep feeders dry. Since I don't have snow, I don't have to have quite as much protection. If there is a lot of wind expected I can throw up a few more.
img_0430-jpg.1446717

I use a tarp with riveted holes in over run. I attach it to the wood frame with elastic loops and paracord.

The other picture is ripstop waterproof fabric I put over a temporary log store. I put a small rock in the corner and tie paracord round. This was there is no hole to weaken the fabric and the stress is over a larger area.

Attachments

• IMG_20231110_091652.jpg
    IMG_20231110_091652.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20231110_091643.jpg
    IMG_20231110_091643.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20231110_091630.jpg
    IMG_20231110_091630.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 56
Just put up marine vinyl to wrap around the covered run today! It'll reach below freezing next few days here. We use paint sticks from Home Depot (cheap!) Here is what we did:

1. drill holes on the paint sticks while they are still wrapped up in a pack of 10, and
2. use roofing screws (these screws have rubber gasket and washer)

The combo work well, we reuse all the screws, sticks, and vinyl every year. This is the third year we use them. We may have to get new sticks next year, but they are cheap to replace.

The marine vinyl works really well, no rips, and can be rinsed before you put them away in spring/summer. We bought them in bulk years ago, worth every penny!

Back
Top Bottom