Attacked by Racoon, Severe Injuries, Emergency, Plz Help

Nutri drench is my favorite go to for everything ailing by chickens. U can give a couple drops full straight to. I put it in my newbirn chicks water. Anytime i change things and my birds r stressed i use it.is ur chicken not eating good yet? If not..offer her the normal feed..mayb soaked a bit to soften it. My old horsey is blind now. Had him since he was 4. We put a lot of miles on him..we have another that is 18 (got him @6mo).they have a 8ac pasture. The younger horse has become his quide and he gets around the pasture really good. Our chickens go out and keep the poo and flies down by scratching/spreading it around. They like to follow the horses around eating bugs around thier feet, grain they drop...and even pick at the hay with them!

Wow, that's so nice you're taking care of your old friend in his old age! And really sweet to hear how the younger horse helps him! :love I think it'd be really cool/ interesting to see...maybe you could make a video sometime...?:)

I'm so glad you said that about the Nutri-Drench, because, no, she's not eating well at all :( and I was going to ask about the dilution ratio (I don't want to make gallons of it, lol), so thank you!! Perfect timing!
Although she hasn't been eating she's still doing better, so far, and hasn't declined at all yet.

I got the Terramycim and it did wonders for her eyes!! Apparently, only the granules were taken off the OTC list, and when my dad went to pick up the Vetricyn gel instead, the woman offered it to him, yayy!
A small slit/opening appeared about 5 mins after I put it on.
I really do love our vets, but they're both completely against using ointments and wouldn't give me any, grrr. I understand their concerns, but ointments can really do wonders in some situations.

She's been having more energy, standing up & walking in small circles, 'looking' around, and can obviously hear, so all good on that front, again-so far.

I'm going to try and weigh her today and see if we can keep track of that, too.
Someone (I'm sorry I don't remember who) sent a fantastic link to a tube feeding post and I feel a little less afraid of attempting it...what worries me most now, is still that swelling.
I don't want to put any added pressure on any of those areas & in order to tube feed someone has to hold her neck straight, etc.
I forced her little beak open last night and tried to shoot some of the Tylan/water/Nutri mix down her throat with the syringe, but it didn't go well and I'm afraid of it getting into her lungs, I won't be doing that again. As long as she doesn't seem to be getting any worse, I'm going to wait and keep up with the hand feeding.:)

One of my hens was dragged away by a large barn cat, a few years ago. I saved her and tried to treat at home - puncture wounds were on her back and shoulder, so they would not/could not drain and became infected quickly. I took her to the vet, and, together, we gave her a sub-cutaneous bag of saline and a shot of antibiotics. Within a day, she responded. I was able to get liquids and food (cooked egg yolk and layer feed, blended with water to a runny gruel) into her by using a needle-free syringe and running a line of the gruel along the side of her beak. She swallowed on her own, and I did not need to try tube-feeding. Lots of patience! I checked and cleaned her punctures gently, but the antibiotics did the trick. After about a week, I started letting her be with the flock. She recovered completely. Best of luck!

Wow, that's so nice you're taking care of your old friend in his old age! And really sweet to hear how the younger horse helps him! :love I think it'd be really cool/ interesting to see...maybe you could make a video sometime...?:)

I'm so glad you said that about the Nutri-Drench, because, no, she's not eating well at all :( and I was going to ask about the dilution ratio (I don't want to make gallons of it, lol), so thank you!! Perfect timing!
Although she hasn't been eating she's still doing better, so far, and hasn't declined at all yet.

I got the Terramycim and it did wonders for her eyes!! Apparently, only the granules were taken off the OTC list, and when my dad went to pick up the Vetricyn gel instead, the woman offered it to him, yayy!
A small slit/opening appeared about 5 mins after I put it on.
I really do love our vets, but they're both completely against using ointments and wouldn't give me any, grrr. I understand their concerns, but ointments can really do wonders in some situations.

She's been having more energy, standing up & walking in small circles, 'looking' around, and can obviously hear, so all good on that front, again-so far.

I'm going to try and weigh her today and see if we can keep track of that, too.
Someone (I'm sorry I don't remember who) sent a fantastic link to a tube feeding post and I feel a little less afraid of attempting it...what worries me most now, is still that swelling.
I don't want to put any added pressure on any of those areas & in order to tube feed someone has to hold her neck straight, etc.
I forced her little beak open last night and tried to shoot some of the Tylan/water/Nutri mix down her throat with the syringe, but it didn't go well and I'm afraid of it getting into her lungs, I won't be doing that again. As long as she doesn't seem to be getting any worse, I'm going to wait and keep up with the hand feeding.:)
Nutri drench is a good calorie replacement for birds not eating..it'll give her some nutrition. I sometimes add a bit of honey in with it to give a few extra calories. Tube feeding can be stressful on older birds. U can just drop it on the side of her beak..some will get in. That may n enough to stimulate her to eat. I'd just try giving her the normal stuff u feed regularly to eat...another one of my favorite tricks is mealworms! Chickens just can't seem to resist them..i think the wiggling around stimulates them to eat. I raise my own mealys..i had some chicks come in last month. 6 were dead. The other 4 barely alive. I started nutridrench right away ..every 30 min at 1st. One chick would not eat. It was completely shut down. I tossed it a meal worm...and much to my delight..it finally eat. For w weeks all it would eat was mealworms! They r blue/ partridge bramahs...they are gorgeous! I ain't buying no more birds that need to be shipped..i'll just buy eggs and hatch them for now on. Tube feeding is easy. I used to raise conjures, cockatiels and parrots. If u go that route...when u open the beak..ull see the airhole..gently push the tube past that hole towards the crop on her right side..u can feel/seethe tube go down that side of the neck. If ur tube is the hard plastic type and its cut blunt.u can file it to make it smoother and u can put a bit of oil on it to help it slide down. It's really easy.

Attachments

• 1501091171640751243928.jpg
    1501091171640751243928.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 17
Nutri drench is a good calorie replacement for birds not eating..it'll give her some nutrition. I sometimes add a bit of honey in with it to give a few extra calories. Tube feeding can be stressful on older birds. U can just drop it on the side of her beak..some will get in. That may n enough to stimulate her to eat. I'd just try giving her the normal stuff u feed regularly to eat...another one of my favorite tricks is mealworms! Chickens just can't seem to resist them..i think the wiggling around stimulates them to eat. I raise my own mealys..i had some chicks come in last month. 6 were dead. The other 4 barely alive. I started nutridrench right away ..every 30 min at 1st. One chick would not eat. It was completely shut down. I tossed it a meal worm...and much to my delight..it finally eat. For w weeks all it would eat was mealworms! They r blue/ partridge bramahs...they are gorgeous! I ain't buying no more birds that need to be shipped..i'll just buy eggs and hatch them for now on. Tube feeding is easy. I used to raise conjures, cockatiels and parrots. If u go that route...when u open the beak..ull see the airhole..gently push the tube past that hole towards the crop on her right side..u can feel/seethe tube go down that side of the neck. If ur tube is the hard plastic type and its cut blunt.u can file it to make it smoother and u can put a bit of oil on it to help it slide down. It's really easy.
The white one is the old guy.

Attachments

• 20170424_124625.jpg
    20170424_124625.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 18
Thank you, I just added the pics. Haven't really tried to check the rest of her body, I'm so afraid of hurting her, just cuz, but also because she'll try to start flapping around & I don't want any further injuries...are there any kind of specific "chicken holds' I can use use?

Thank you so much, I did get the pics added, having some issues w new pc, hopefully this goes thru... I will see if we can get the blu kote. I'm afraid to try & check the rest of her out, for fear of further injury, she tries to start flappig around...gonna look for some specific 'chicken holds'
oops..
It is at fleet farm just ask for. Blue kote

The white one is the old guy.
I like to put my hand under my birds with thier legs dangling and hold them against my side but that may not be practical. If u have an extra hand that would probly help a lot. Probly best way is to wrap her in a towel so she can't flap. And sort of place her against your body/side while sitting and use ur elbow to keep her still. Try to get it worked out b4 u do the tube feeding. Do a few dry runs at holding/confining her..then let her rest a bit in between...that way..u have that worked out b4 u tube feed..b less stressful for u and her.

I like to put my hand under my birds with thier legs dangling and hold them against my side but that may not be practical. If u have an extra hand that would probly help a lot. Probly best way is to wrap her in a towel so she can't flap. And sort of place her against your body/side while sitting and use ur elbow to keep her still. Try to get it worked out b4 u do the tube feeding. Do a few dry runs at holding/confining her..then let her rest a bit in between...that way..u have that worked out b4 u tube feed..b less stressful for u and her.
U could just try placing towels around her in her box to if she's in a small box or crate that you can access from above .

Back
Top Bottom