August Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I AM SO JEALOUS!!!! All these chicky pics and I have to wait until next Saturday for my chickys. 3 BLRW are still going strong(shipped) Hatch date Next Saturday, one light brahama which I will be putting under the broody should hatch Tuesday.

Same here, I've got a staggered hatch coming up on Friday, Saturday, Sunday next week so a really egg-citing weekend for me! It's all hens on deck! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:wee

That’s my hatch done I think. I’ve got one Black French copper maran and 2 blue. 3 out of 6 with shipped eggs. Well 3 out of 12 but none of the other 6 were fertile! I had to assist the wrong ended pip and it is significantly smaller but full of life and finding its feet. They all hatched on end of day 20 to just before end of day 21. I feel very confident about the Wee one. It’s been smooshed up all the wrong way malpositioned with an enormous saddle cell. I’m happy over given it a chance, I followed exact instruction on then assisting malpositioned bird info and unhooked it’s stuck wee head. It’s going to to be very special to me if all goes well. I feel in my gut it will.

Attachments

• 6829CC74-06D9-4A8A-823B-B69E24688AC4.jpeg
    6829CC74-06D9-4A8A-823B-B69E24688AC4.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 5909CBDE-3437-452C-B3B9-99D4E9D6CD61.jpeg
    5909CBDE-3437-452C-B3B9-99D4E9D6CD61.jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 13994EC7-E8F1-4703-8BF0-AABD870A4D93.jpeg
    13994EC7-E8F1-4703-8BF0-AABD870A4D93.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 8
That’s my hatch done I think. I’ve got one Black French copper maran and 2 blue. 3 out of 6 with shipped eggs. Well 3 out of 12 but none of the other 6 were fertile! I had to assist the wrong ended pip and it is significantly smaller but full of life and finding its feet. They all hatched on end of day 20 to just before end of day 21. I feel very confident about the Wee one. It’s been smooshed up all the wrong way malpositioned with an enormous saddle cell. I’m happy over given it a chance, I followed exact instruction on then assisting malpositioned bird info and unhooked it’s stuck wee head. It’s going to to be very special to me if all goes well. I feel in my gut it will.
Adorable!!! Love the pic with the mirror! :loveCongratulations!!!:wee

Thanks... cup baby is still doing ok, but there was a small issue with one of the chicks in “my” incubator, I think it was from the farm that my Barnvelder boy is at, (the eggs that were quite dirty and not at all what I would have chosen for hatching...) the little one was on its back more than usual and flailing a bit. I looked closer and there was something wrong with the leg. It turns out it has a not fully healed navel and a loop of something was wrapped around its hock. I got the protrusion off the leg, but it still has a very large off center belly button type protrusion... hoping it will go in and there won’t be permanent damage. Has anyone seen something like this before? I put it back into the incubator, to finish drying.
View attachment 1880160 View attachment 1880161 View attachment 1880162
Edit to add: chick is quite active and behaving normally now, 1/2 hr later, I’m not going to inter fear with it further. Leaving it in the incubator for the night and heading off to bed... will check in on it as early as possible tomorrow
Hope your chick’s navel heals well! :fl

Thanks... cup baby is still doing ok, but there was a small issue with one of the chicks in “my” incubator, I think it was from the farm that my Barnvelder boy is at, (the eggs that were quite dirty and not at all what I would have chosen for hatching...) the little one was on its back more than usual and flailing a bit. I looked closer and there was something wrong with the leg. It turns out it has a not fully healed navel and a loop of something was wrapped around its hock. I got the protrusion off the leg, but it still has a very large off center belly button type protrusion... hoping it will go in and there won’t be permanent damage. Has anyone seen something like this before? I put it back into the incubator, to finish drying.
View attachment 1880160 View attachment 1880161 View attachment 1880162
Edit to add: chick is quite active and behaving normally now, 1/2 hr later, I’m not going to inter fear with it further. Leaving it in the incubator for the night and heading off to bed... will check in on it as early as possible tomorrow
I have had babies like that it is where they hatched very shortly after absorbing the yolk and the bellybutton did not have time to close completely. As long as you hot the "string" off the leg the baby should be fine with some time

Congratulations! Very adorable little chicks.

Well done!!!!!!!!!!

Adorable!!! Love the pic with the mirror! :loveCongratulations!!!:wee
That was such a great tip. She was so distressed and as soon as I put the mirror in she quietened down. Now the two new ones are in with her and she’s been wondering what hit her. She’d maybe prefer the mirror. I did the wing testing and I see long and short feathers on all of them so am calling them she until proved otherwise.

That was such a great tip. She was so distressed and as soon as I put the mirror in she quietened down. Now the two new ones are in with her and she’s been wondering what hit her. She’d maybe prefer the mirror. I did the wing testing and I see long and short feathers on all of them so am calling them she until proved otherwise.

That's a cute idea with the mirror. I do the same and call them "she" until I'm positive they're not. Lol

WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGE/DETAILS

Hi all. I am attempting to hatch eggs in the incubator for the first time. I know this is not a good time of year to order eggs through the mail, but I wanted to try anyways, so I ordered some from Florida which had to ship across the country to Ohio in 90 degree temps. The eggs arrived pretty dirty, but i read they shouldn't be washed, so I put the eggs in the incubator, candled on day 5, and 2 looked black inside so I opened them and they were rotten. Candled on day 11 and 2 eggs were weeping and smelled awful. Performed eggtopsies and there was only what resembled a black prune inside each egg - what I presume was a decomposed embryo. Candled on day 13, one egg had a little crusted yellow residue on the bottom, which smelled rotten and I assumed had been weeping which meant it was bad. I didn't realize the batteries in my flashlight were dying since I had been looking at brown and blue eggs which are very hard to see inside anyways. So when i candled this particular egg with the yellow crusty residue I only could see a saddle shaped air cell, no veining or anything else. So I assumed it was bad and cracked it open to find a beautiful chick with vibrant yolk and red veining. It looked like a perfectly viable chick to me and did not smell at all. So I am afraid i killed a perfectly healthy chick! The more i think about it, i am wondering if i accidently placed the egg in the same spot in the turner where i had removed a bad weeping egg the prior time i candled, so maybe the residue was from the other bad egg? I feel horrible. :( So my questions for you...

1. Could an egg weep, have some crusty residue on the outside but the chick still be healthy and survive and hatch?

2. At day 13 should the chick have been moving when i cracked it open?

3. How long would it live upon opening the egg? Is it instant death?

4. Could it have already been dead and still have such a vibrant intact circulatory system? It seems like it wouldn't still look so perfect if it was already dead.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• noname (18).jpg
    noname (18).jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom