August Hatch-A-Long!

I'm on day 13 of my hatch. The lady I got my silkies from keeps her humidity at 60-65%, while my bator instructions state 50-55%. Anywho, I went with what she said and so far so good. I had 1 quitter 2 nights ago and the rest (10) are showing movement. My question is if I've had the humidity set at that, and I know I must increase during lockdown in the last 3 days, what do I set it at? 80-85%???
could you ask her? if it works for her and she's in your same climate?

I'm on day 13 of my hatch. The lady I got my silkies from keeps her humidity at 60-65%, while my bator instructions state 50-55%. Anywho, I went with what she said and so far so good. I had 1 quitter 2 nights ago and the rest (10) are showing movement. My question is if I've had the humidity set at that, and I know I must increase during lockdown in the last 3 days, what do I set it at? 80-85%???

WOW that is high humidity! What is your climate? Dry? What room do you have your incubator in? What is the humidity in that room?

I thought so too! and almost from the beginning I had given up on the hatch bc I couldn't stabilize the temp & humidity but lo & beyond they're in there swimming away. Could you specify on the dry climate question... not sure what that refers to as I'm a newbie and it's my first hatch.. idk all the terminology yet. And idk what my room humidity is... but I keep the bator in my kitchen.

so you're allowed to wash them off? Even if there's been no explosion? I didn't know....
hu.gif

yea she said the lowest it could get was 60% but I've seen it as low as 48% hence another reason why I was giving up on my little fellers. How has your experience been with egg turners? She had advised me against it bc her hatchings weren't happening and when she cracked them open they hadn't developed well, so I'm a little leary of getting one although it would def make my life a whole lot easier. On the other hand I do love the interaction I get when I'm turning them... they're my babies
love.gif

I thought so too! and almost from the beginning I had given up on the hatch bc I couldn't stabilize the temp & humidity but lo & beyond they're in there swimming away. Could you specify on the dry climate question... not sure what that refers to as I'm a newbie and it's my first hatch.. idk all the terminology yet. And idk what my room humidity is... but I keep the bator in my kitchen.
I'm in a climate that is naturally moist...some are in more desert areas and incubate at higher humidity so the internal membrane doesn't dry too fast or too much...if the lady you got them from is successful at that humidity I would stick with that anyway at this point...if you need to change anything don't do it during this hatch...you'll know after this if something needs tweaking...don't fix what isn't broken
wink.png

yea she said the lowest it could get was 60% but I've seen it as low as 48% hence another reason why I was giving up on my little fellers. How has your experience been with egg turners? She had advised me against it bc her hatchings weren't happening and when she cracked them open they hadn't developed well, so I'm a little leary of getting one although it would def make my life a whole lot easier. On the other hand I do love the interaction I get when I'm turning them... they're my babies
love.gif
whatever works best for you and honestly it sounds like it's going well...
even hens sitting on eggs don't have a constant humidity and temp...sounds like everything is going just great....and do keep us informed! I love silkies...would love to see your little fluffs when they hatch!

Back
Top Bottom