Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hey everyone!
Just wondering what are some tips for my chickens over summer?? Is there a way to keep them nice and cool?
I'm from the Gold Coast and it's a horrible windy heat today and my 10 week old chickens are panting already...

It sure is hot today. We hit 40c and humidity is really high. No winds here though, I use a sprinkler on top of my hen house if it gets too hot. Could put ice in there waterers as well as frozen watermelon and grapes frozen. I haven't done anything special for them today and they are doing fine. I turn on the sprinklers for a little while if it gets over 40c. Most of all make sure they have shade.

That doesn't sound promising then lol. Well promising for you :) but not as our next breed. I'm over broodies lol

Hubby wants either light Sussex or Australorpes.

No its okay. Just dreaming of coloured eggs, think hubby would complain if he didn't get what he wanted for a change though anyway lol

Someone had some beautiful Australorpes. They weren't just matt black, you could make out each feather. Beautiful. Maybe Ash?

Last edited:
Hey everyone!
Just wondering what are some tips for my chickens over summer?? Is there a way to keep them nice and cool?
I'm from the Gold Coast and it's a horrible windy heat today and my 10 week old chickens are panting already...

It is natural for them to pant. It is a cooling mechanism. It doesn''t mean they are in distress. It doesn't really get hot enough here to be a huge problem if they have plenty of shade and water. Much hotter out at Satay's.

No its okay. Just dreaming of coloured eggs, think hubby would complain if he didn't get what he wanted for a change anyway lol

Someone had some beautiful Australorpes. They weren't just matt black, you could make out each feather. Beautiful. Maybe Ash?

They were probably Blue australorps which are are lovely. CB & CG has lots of 'lorps. I also have a couple of young ones that came from really dark eggs, as dark as my darkest Marans eggs. Next breeding project!!! :D Shame you aren't closer. :frow

this is a blue one, Appps. Is that what you mean?

Back
Top Bottom