Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

Welcome Massimo!!
    What breed did you buy?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Pics please. I love wyandottes. :love

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Welcome :)

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    My streak of never having a nasty roo is over. Yesterday i went to let the marans out and as i lent into their tractor one of the boys wacked me from behind. I turned gave him the evil eye and kept back to what i was doing when he did it again. He is now off to freezer camp. No mean roos will live here i am afraid. I have 4 roos thankfully.

1 person likes this.
  5. Megans Chickens

Megans Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

6. Megans Chickens

Megans Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Thanks for the reply!
    I think it got to 39 here today but the wind was so got and horrible.. Where abouts are you from? In qld we are not allowed to use sprinklers so unfortunately I can't do that :( I let them out yesterday all day just so they could be in the garden under the trees that helped abit, also putting frozen water bottles in their coop.. They won't drink their water if there is ice cubes as it freeks them out when they see them lol... And they hate watermelon!!!! I thought chickens were ment to love watermelon lol

7. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I have lots of Wyandotte .[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

I'm not sure what I would do without the sprinklers. Mind you when we say sprinklers in my case it is actually the black polypipe with misters in it down in the shady part of their run.

I only felt I needed it on those super hot days last year which ranged from 43-45. But it reduced the temperature by quite a lot.

The other day was unseasonably hot and I was filling their water and at the same time hosed an area that was quite brushy and in the shade. They went straight in there and hung out so that helped a little I think.

9. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

What is this colour called? That is really pretty!

10. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Hi Megas i'm in Esk in qld. We have bore water i forget city people still can't use sprinklers The first 2 years we were here we only had tank water and it hardly ever rained. We spent $10 000 to have our bore put in in october of 2010. Unbfortunately in this area water is way down so they had to drill 60 metres to get water. Then it flooded in jan of 2011 .. Typical. . We had a rain water tank when we lived in the city and the restrictions came in. I hate watermelon myself so don't blame your hens lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by