Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Beulah89

Beulah89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. I never knew! Lol cane toads have been making their way down south so please don't send us foxes in return!

2. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Just give them time. I also have one of those feeders, and then actually made a couple copies. They were fairly slow to get used to it. Sprinkling feed in front of it is good. But I also filled the eating part full, because that is a bit low for them to see it. Is it a good height for them? Are they getting the same feed as they used to get, because they can also be slow to adapt to a new feed? But don't worry, they won't starve, they will eat first. :D

2 people like this.
  3. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Hmmm my parents are starting to question what the next electricity bill is going to be like now we have the incubator.. Has anyone found that it's a big cost? Are we going to be in for a rude shock? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to live in QLD for years, saw foxes all the way up to Cairns :)
    Cane toads aren't down here in NSW that I know of. Well I have never seen one out Central West here anyway :) Thank god :)

5. SandeeC

Your eggs will be fine :) I went away for 4 days and collected them and put them in the fridge still :) You think of how many people store their eggs on the bench top :) They are still good for quite a while :)

6. SandeeC

I will add, I have to update my profile pic now :) Chicken coop has been extended for the little ones :)
    My youngest son and I finally finished it today :)
    Now to sit back and relax for a bit before I get ducks :) Then the building starts all over again lol

7. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

Definatly in Australia. In their infinite wisdom the English brought them over and released so they could still go fox hunting like they used to in England. I didn't know there was anywhere in Australia didn't have them (except maybe Tasmania)

We lost our original trio to a fox about ten years ago and we live right In the middle of town. I would not bank on there not being any near you.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  8. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

I think they are just starting to spot the odd cane toad in Sydney.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  9. SandeeC

Oh wow, I haven't seen one out here in the past 9 yrs :) Have enough to contend with though without them too :)
    Almost lost a rotti years ago from a cane toad in Gladstone. Definitely don't need them out here :)

10. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

Like Satay said above its a cross. And the idea is to get a bird with every characteristic of the silkie but with frizzled feathers instead of the silkie ones. So you want black skin, five toes and a rose comb. Not that easy when you are crossing with something like a frizzled Cochin which has none of those. It takes many many generations to actually get everything right.

We have three first generation birds and ended up with a silkie, a frizzled with normal skin colour and a rose comb five toes and a frizzled with five toes normal skin colour and normal comb. We also had a rooster and he got everything except the rose comb.

So you can see there is more to getting one than just doing the cross. Then its a matter of taking the ones that worked best and mating back to a silkie and on an on it goes till eventually you get that frizzled feathered silkie characteristic bird.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by