Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Beulah89

Beulah89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm no don't think we really do...I know that one lives around the hospital. I'm sure we do but they don't seem to be a big problem. I'm pretty sure we have a pack of wild dogs on the hill I live on. I used to see them at night.

2. Beulah89

Hey guys,
    Has anyone ever had trouble with butcher birds?
    I heard my girls going off today and ran out thinking my cat was chasing them. When I went out there all I could find was a butcher bird. Then when I went out to put them to bed they both suddenly stood completely still and started making this weird low growling sound. I freaked a bit but couldn't see anything so picked them up and put them in their coop when a butcher bird swooped over us.
    Do you guys think a butcher bird could or would kill a chicken?

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    They would take little day old size chicks I'm sure but doubt they would bother a full grown one.
    Mine were a bit nervous of the magpies when they first moved in too but got over it.
    Wonder if something else made them nervous first.

Oh and how old are your chooks again? At 5-6 months mine were terrified of everything with wings. The rosellas flying in low over the run used to make them scatter in panic.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  4. Beulah89

I'm not sure how old they are I bought them about a month ago at the 'point of lay' so yeah a couple of months I think. Yeah they'd be bigger than the butcher bird so not too worried. But yeah the poor girls freaked! But they are territorial birds so not so sure...

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi there Beulah89 :)

I agree with Appps that while they may freak out an older chicken by swooping, I don't think they could kill one. If you have some hanging around they may have a nest nearby and hopefully, once their chicks have grown, they will back off and leave your girls alone.

My girls were also freaked out a little by low flying Rosellas and Turtle Doves but seem to have settled a little now.

My problem is Crows, I have one hanging around and I am sure he is after one of my 4 week old chicks but luckily they are in a covered run with their mum. They were all freaked out when I got home the other day and I had no idea what was wrong with them, I initially thought they were ill. I found a small ring of feathers just by the side of their run and I think Mr Crow had swooped and possibly taken one of the young doves we have around at the moment. My poor little bantams are not much bigger than a crow!

6. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Hopefully your crow doesn't work out there are eggs in there too. Apparently they steal those too.

7. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

Never had one but I think it came up a little while ago. Wonder if there is a way to search the thread to find it again. month or so back I think

1 person likes this.
  8. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

EDIT: I just did a quick sum on my 100W ceramic heat lamps for the first week (I have it on all the time then)

100W globe x 24 hours x 7 Days div 1000 = 16.8 x 0.22c = $3.69 per week.
    After that I go down to a 75W ceramic globe and use it as required.

9. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I saw a butcher bird snatch and kill a very large rat. Grabbed him and smacked his head against the shed. Just like that.

10. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been worried about how much my incubator uses electricity, but it's 60W power consumption. So reading that Ben I feel a lot more at ease :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by