Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Ok guys so to add to my question does an incubator chew up a lot of electricity and does it make the bills sky rocket, I just candled my eggs and only.. ONE!.. Out of a dozen is growing [​IMG] I'm so upset.. Will the only chick even survive as a baby without any siblings?..

2. Millsy

Millsy Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG]
    Hens have only been home with us just on 24hrs just went out to check on them and found our first egg.... First milestone passed lol Problem is whoever laid the egg laid it on the ground in the corner of the coop, not in the flash nesting box which is about 1m off the ground with a ladder and roost to make access easy. :-/

3. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

How far in are they?

4. SandeeC

One of my girls laid their first egg on the ground, but it was only the once. That egg might have snuck up on her :) lol

5. Millsy

Millsy Out Of The Brooder

Could be that where we brought her from they were in a large pen with no nesting boxes to say just a large black plastic bin for them to use. I will wait and see where they lay the next ones, just glad to be getting fresh eggs :)

6. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    7 days the one that took had an embryo the size of a pea and veiny but the others we absolutely clear as day not even i slight blemish of hope :(

7. SandeeC

Mine were like that for over a week, there was 2 that were doing really well, other's didn't think anything would come out. But ended up with 7 out of 9 hatch :) Even 5 days after their due date :) Give them time, you never know :)

1 person likes this.
  8. SandeeC

I use a old dog kennel for mine to use as a nesting box and the roosting box is made out of an air con duct :) They were laying in the air con duct for a while, then decided that it's better to sleep in of a night time lol
    Plus as I said, one of them laid on the ground to start with. She was just 5 months old when she first laid, so she obviously didn't know what she was doing :)

9. Beulah89

Beulah89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I googled it:D turns out foxes avoid places with large dingo populations. Maybe the reason we don't have rabbits up here either...

10. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

That makes sense. I'm sure a fox would make a tasty snack for a dingo :)
    So does that mean you don't have much in the way of feral cats either?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by