Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Slowly rexy. Only got one more since.

Do you guys find that with all your layers? Mine seem to go in waves, 5-6 eggs for a week and a bit then a couple of weeks of 1-2 eggs. Ive been surprised its not been a more consistent laying thing, wth 7 chooks I thought we would be giving them away we would have so many but nope, now and then I even have to buy a box.

I do wonder if the broodiness is affecting it. And I dont mean the obvious they stop laying when they are broody, I mean everyone seems to stop. We were going really well then Al who is a cranky thing with everyone else at the best of times got broody and suddenly I think nobody wanted to go in the box with her to lay LOL Ive not had more then 2-3 eggs since but it was only one broody hen not 3 or 4 but thats how much the egg production dropped by.

I have 4 x coro hens bunkered down in coronation cottage. 2 x gold laced Wyandotte laying on golf balls in another pen and 2 silkies fighting over chicks and eggs in the next pen. Those that aren't trying to hatch eggs , are getting around the yard with young and not laying either. So I thought , what the heck, may as well worm and delice everyone. Yes apps , IMHO , broody hens affect the rest of the flock.

Do you guys find that with all your layers?  Mine seem to go in waves, 5-6 eggs for a week and a bit then a couple of weeks of 1-2 eggs.  Ive been surprised its not been a more consistent laying thing, wth 7 chooks I thought we would be giving them away we would have so many but nope, now and then I even have to buy a box.

I do wonder if the broodiness is affecting it.  And I dont mean the obvious they stop laying when they are broody, I mean everyone seems to stop.  We were going really well then Al who is a cranky thing with everyone else at the best of times got broody and suddenly I think nobody wanted to go in the box with her to lay LOL  Ive not had more then 2-3 eggs since but it was only one broody hen not 3 or 4 but thats how much the egg production dropped by. 

I find it depends on the breed. I have so many broody bantams right now I have lost count lol. I think the marans are laying younger than normal, think that's why I am not getting many and the darn cochins laid 5 eggs (not fertile) and went broody again. I have 3 broody aussies as well.

Last edited:
I do find that some chickens get pushed away from the broodie(s) but if a hen wants to lay, shes going to lay...somewhere.

Luke do you still have your quails? I am amazed by mine they have laid an eggs a day since they were born even right over winter which is good cause I have egg orders coming out of my ears.

Quote:Luke do you still have your quails? I am amazed by mine they have laid an eggs a day since they were born even right over winter which is good cause I have egg orders coming out of my ears.

Yes we still have them. But the annoying thing is they have big demand up here but we are getting no eggs to sell uhhh!

Sam how are your eggs going in the incubator? Have you candled them? Anyone else hatching? I have 2 ducks eggs in there that I put in not thinking they would be fertile looks like one is. My 5 cochin eggs I removed as they were all infertile. Going to add some wellies soon as they have just started to lay properly again. Now come on marans so I can start hatching some of yours lol.

Lol they were going great I candled on day 7 and all were fertile and developing but yesterday I got home and the temp was 38.3 I took the lid off and dropped the temp to normal but as I was working the house was shut and bloody hot ! I left the windows open so am hoping all is ok. Will candle a few this weekend and check on progress

Back
Top Bottom