Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Anniebee

Anniebee Chillin' With My Peeps

Am wondering the same appps. I only have 3 chickens - one not laying at all ( for 2 months - Mandy Welsummer while regrowing feathers after a long moult ) .... Mindy Araucana in a separate run has gone broody - is still producing eggs but for how long is the question ?, and Molly RIR is still laying but is losing a feather here and there, so could be going into a summer moult. Which ultimately means probably no eggs at all for a while. I do know that Mindy's broodiness has upset the other two chooks no end. They are separated from Mindy ( who is NOT popular with the big girls ) .... but they fuss and worry at the fence when Mindy is locked out of her coop with her food and water outside too, which is one of my ideas to try and get her over her broodiness. Nothing seems to be working too well - as it is continally intermittent rain here, day after day at which time I am outside putting Mindy back in her coop ( she loves getting saturated ). We have small bursts of sunshine, which they don't get enough of anyway - a massive oak tree in full leaf shades their runs. .
    At times I wonder about keeping chickens. [​IMG] Still and all, I wouldn't be without them. Am thinking of buying a few fertile eggs to put under Mindy .... see if that keeps her happy. Have a farm to send the roos, if it came to that - and would keep pullets. Just another thought !!

Cheers ......... AB

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. Anniebee

Anniebee Chillin' With My Peeps

p.s. anyone got any fertile eggs they want to sell - somewhere in the outer Eastern suburbs of Melbourne, and preferably RIR's ... or smaller eggs from another breed ? Just enquiring at this stage.

AB

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    It is a personal choice. There is no withholding period for amprolium , but even so , I only feed it to birds that aren't old enough to lay. As a rule we don't eat eggs if there has been any antibiotics or wormer used. I don't even feed them to the dogs.

4. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Oh ok. I wont risk it then haha.
    So what has happened today on the Satay front ? ( please have something fun, I'm bored[​IMG] )

5. cluckcluckluke

6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    :lau Nothing out of the ordinary happening here today Luke. I am kinda glad. Sometimes boring can be good for me lol. Just egg packing for quail orders.

7. cluckcluckluke

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    lol good luck with your new venture Luke. I am sure you will be do really well. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a great hatch for you :)

9. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Great Lucas. You are going to have little white things running everywhere. :lau I got excited when I finally had some variety in the brooder with a couple of 'lorps, and few ara/marans. You are going to have all white ones. :p

Good hatching vibes. :fl

10. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I have only ever owned one white leggie and she was a rescue (odd for my place lol) She was a sweet girl but every time I hatched eggs from her they were all male.. Great egg layers the leggies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by