Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

We have processed 7 of our boy's, would rather do that than give them to someone else who will probably pot them anyway.

Saying that, our last roo is being homed when his male duties are complete. He has been a good boy and we are happy to let him live a nice life on a farm.

I'm in Victoria

Hello sparkles.
1f60a.png

Hi colorful . At this stage none.however coming here to learn ect before I get some. Also looking at getting a couple of duck. As pets and of course for the eggs

****Warning, the following post is me talking about me culling my Roosters so if that is something you don't want to read, skip over it (and I'm sorry I upset you)****

Today I finally culled my extra roosters (with lots of help from my Mum and a friend). That's 10 roosters down and I also culled 6 quail (extra boys too small or mean to sell). I'll be eating them for lunch (the quail) tomorrow. I feel that if I don't use every bit of them, they've died for nothing so what we're not eating is going to the dogs.

It was awful to do but it seriously needed to be done for the sake of my poor hens, and I've been trying to sell them for ages.

I've ordered some meat chicks from Barter and Son's ($3 a chicks and $35 to be sent here and I've ordered extra so anyone in the region who wants them can get them without the hassle of ordering them). I'm almost done building their pen (it's moveable and they'll free range during the day). If they seem happy enough during their short life, I'll do it again.

The reason for raising them myself is the I like that I know they'e been treated well during their life as compared to store bought cooked chooks where I'm just not sure they were raised humanely, even the free range birds. I also know they haven't been raised on feed laden heavily with anti-biotics.

We have had to cull many an extra roos here. It's not fun but it has to be done. I have never eaten quail but if i have some extras from this hatch I may just have to be brave and try some. May need to get some tips from you on how you did it.

Last edited:
FancyChookLady - you got me to a tee ;) I have two little seating places and every morning i have my tea and crumpet with my girls haha

I LOVEEEE my silkies! Your's are so gorgeous! Colours are similar to some of mine haha

Pics of my little seat outside the coop and my tree stump i sit on inside the coop haha and my view of a morning :)

That is such a beautiful spot to sit and enjoy your cuppa. I need something like that. I actually sit in there with them but that doesnt always work, this morning as I was concentrating on stopping my silkie getting out the gate as I went in with muffin in one hand and coffee in the other Carl the faverolle stole my muffin out of my other hand LOL I turned to look at her running off with that and the rest of them escaped. My son was no help at all, he was too busy laughing at me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom