Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

As per usual, playing catch up after a busy work week. Sorry about the wordy post but if you factor in that it is a week's worth and split it into 7 days, no so bad
wink.png

Had a good chuckle at the references to the German Cockroaches; funny stuff!

With the chickens outside and the cats inside I do not see many creepy intruders at all. Anything that makes it’s appearance known inside our house is efficiently dispatched by the felines. Needless to say, with the gals on patrol outside, not much makes it inside anyway!

Sidhe13 I am so very sorry to read your sad news
sad.png

Are supervised free ranges out of the question also? Do they range too far to keep an eye on all of them? Because of neighbourhood dogs and cats, we have to ensure that the afternoon free range is supervised and one of us is out there with them at all times. They get to range from 4 to 7pm every day (pretty much all day on weekends) and they seem happy with that. They have ample room in their coops and run also.

They do, however, know how to tell time and without fail, start making a ruckus at 03:30pm in anticipation of being let out. Between the chickens demanding to be let out and the cats also ‘in our face’ to spend time in their outside run, that last half an hour of trying to work can be both tricky and noisy!

I advertise my baby roosters on Gumtree (free) and hope I can find good homes for them but I also know (when I come out of denial) that some will probably not get to live long and happy lives. Sadly, I can’t keep them and it is always a dilemma when giving into a broody and giving her some fertile eggs.

ChristieB love the picture of your gals on the porch. My gals have learnt that when it rains on free range, on the deck, under the outdoor table and gazebo is a good place to stay dry and if mum is sheltering under the gazebo also, a good opportunity to score some meal worms! I do believe the little munchkins may just be doing rain dances
wink.png

As others have suggested, if I have anyone who thinks the nest box is a good place to sleep, I pop out after dark and move them to roost; after a while, they get the idea.

I have also resorted to blocking off the nest boxes with a divider I fashioned out of wire. It is easily added and removed. If I have a determined broody etc, when they are free ranging, I pop up the divider and then once everyone has settled for the night on the roost, take the divider away so the boxes are available the next morning if needed.

My nest boxes are easily removed and I have also had to resort to taking them away completely in the afternoon and returning them after dark.

Howdy racheous and mermaidextra welcome
frow.gif

Gumtree, Facebook and Google searches for me also when looking for fertile eggs mermaidextra.

AussieChics the compost bin at our place is definitely on the list of pit stops when the gals are doing garden patrol … not for laying purposes but because it is bug central and all sorts of yummy goodies come crawling out if you are patient
wink.png

Maybe your gals like it because they can nest and snack; a bit like breakfast in bed
wink.png

appps congrats on the good layers and glut of eggs. When I have too many, I share with the neighbours who are always appreciative and while not a good recipe or anything quite so creative, I simply boil some and pop them in the fridge; always handy if someone wants a quick snack or egg sandwich and always nice to toss in a salad. I also feed them back to the gals.

I did not know that eggs explode if over boiled! Storing that bit of info for future reference.

Oooh yeah, Goggle Box is on my list of must-not-see’s along with ‘I’m a Celebrity …. Etc’ better things to do with my time.

tandykins
lau.gif
at your hubby ultimatum. Love your sense of humour and your intervention story had me chuckling.

Outpost JWB I am sorry to read of your dog v chicken issues also
sad.png

K Spot my catch up this week is not as good as last week in that there is too much sad news! Sorry to hear about you losing Snitzel. On a much nicer note, those puppies are adorable! Puppy breath is one of my favourite scents!

Fancy the not so good news continues .... Sorry to hear yours! Your little loner is soooo cute! I agree with others that (s)he does not look quite so impressed with his/her situation in that second image.

Nu2chooks15 still no eggs?

Cwrite congrats on finding Toothless a home. Wow! Your neighbour sounds like a real piece of work!

You can’t really do this because it would just draw unwanted attention from Council etc, but wouldn’t it be kinda fun to have a recording of a rooster and play it back when the mood suited? Rooster? What Rooster? No Roosters here!

Yippee! All caught up for now
clap.gif

So, my news? Once again, zip, zero, zilch!

LuLu the Frizzle is molting and pretty soon is going to be tail-less. Other than that, everyone is happy, healthy and cruising along nicely.

I am still keeping an eye on Gumtree for an additional girl or two (I have room for two more) but I am now starting to think, after swearing off hatches for a very long time, that the next broody may just be the lucky gal who gets some eggs. Granted, my luck of late on the rooster ratio has not been good and I did not get to keep any of the last two hatches (still smarting over not being able to keep either Spot or Gloria/George), I still think that hatching them here might be the best option for increasing the flock … we shall see
wink.png

Tomorrow I am off to Toowoomba to roll out some software and staying overnight so that I am on site for the users on Monday. While hubby has a fair idea of what I do for the gals morning and afternoon, this morning he got to follow me around as I fed, refreshed water, cleaned the coop etc. This afternoon he gets lesson #2
tongue.png

So, having to squeeze a two day weekend into one day, I have lots to do today and should get started.

Take care for now everyone and happy chickens!
D.gif

Hey guys haven't spent much time with the girls the last couple days as I have a client whose water broke in the wee hours on Thursday and we are still waiting for labour to start. It's taking it out of me I can't imagine how she feels, my only labour was short and sweet and the other 2 were c section.
So because I wouldn't be home to let the free range I've dodgied up the over grown space beside the house for them to roam. It's a chicken jungle!! They aren't quite sure what to do with the weeds lol

Find the pekin :p

So totally off topic but am I the only one thinks that there is now a TV show x(goggle box) where we get to sit on our lounge and watch other people sitting on their lounge watching tele is a really sad reflection on humanity lol
Check out the UK one on youtube...it's absolutely addictive! The posh couple are hilarious!

Chicken news. The rooster at work is getting bigger and more magnificent, but I haven't heard him even attempt to crow yet. There are definite rumblings to get rid of him. He came as a pair from a child at the school, and I THINK they are gold laced wyandottes, although the girl has black legs, not yellow like the pics on google. I've not had success posting pics here, especially from my phone, but I'll have another try. I had to clip the girl's wings yesterday as she's jumping the (+6 foot) fence to get away from him, so it seems he's trying to assert himself. If anyone wants a pretty roo and is prepared to come to inner Sydney for him, I think he'd be yours!

As for my girls, glados is finally looking like a normal chook again after her 7 week sit-in. They've started moulting so look rather drab, but I'm still getting eggs, bless 'em!

Hey guys haven't spent much time with the girls the last couple days as I have a client whose water broke in the wee hours on Thursday and we are still waiting for labour to start. It's taking it out of me I can't imagine how she feels, my only labour was short and sweet and the other 2 were c section.
So because I wouldn't be home to let the free range I've dodgied up the over grown space beside the house for them to roam. It's a chicken jungle!! They aren't quite sure what to do with the weeds lol

Find the pekin :p

Chicken heaven, give them a few weeks and they will have it back to dirt. Oh your poor patient , at least you show compassion for her and that is nice.

The thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/951484/owlhome-flock is, I think, all of my chickens. It's a motley group, and mostly just a fun hobby, but I might breed next year - I'm still not sure, but they are pretty, uh, adorable...

Right now they all hate me, as today they were sprayed for lice under wings and on butt, and then dusted thoroughly with diatomaceous earth in a wheelbarrow. They may hate me more tomorrow, as I'm probably going to worm them all.

I need to order some antibacterial online for a cough one has - it isn't severe, but when I flipped her upside down to dust her today, a tonne of mucus flowed out of the poor thing's mouth and nose. I'm really glad I did her last by chance, so I didn't have to clean up the mess before dipping the others. Her eyes are fine, but this cough has really been lingering. The local feedstores just had garlic and sulphur, no poultry anti-bacterial, when I went to look. Tonnes of horse medicine, but I didn't recognise any of the names at all (and most of that was herbal).

Thanks for the information, @satay , it's good to know what happened. What a tragedy though
sad.png
. And some very dubious things going on, or so it seems. My husband keeps asking me how hard it would be for me to import some of his favourite breeds...

The thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/951484/owlhome-flock is, I think, all of my chickens.  It's a motley group, and mostly just a fun hobby, but I might breed next year - I'm still not sure, but they are pretty, uh, adorable...

Right now they all hate me, as today they were sprayed for lice under wings and on butt, and then dusted thoroughly with diatomaceous earth in a wheelbarrow.  They may hate me more tomorrow, as I'm probably going to worm them all.  

I need to order some antibacterial online for a cough one has - it isn't severe, but when I flipped her upside down to dust her today, a tonne of mucus flowed out of the poor thing's mouth and nose.  I'm really glad I did her last by chance, so I didn't have to clean up the mess before dipping the others.  Her eyes are fine, but this cough has really been lingering.  The local feedstores just had garlic and sulphur, no poultry anti-bacterial, when I went to look.  Tonnes of horse medicine, but I didn't recognise any of the names at all (and most of that was herbal).

Thanks for the information, @satay
, it's good to know what happened.  What a tragedy though :( .  And some very dubious things going on, or so it seems.  My husband keeps asking me how hard it would be for me to import some of his favourite breeds...

If you have any upper respiratory problems I would stop with the DE. The silica particles are known to cause such problems. Mucous running from the mouth is never a good sign.
You can buy antibiotics online.

http://www.littlevalleypoultry.com/poultry-medications/oxymav

Last edited:
If you have any upper respiratory problems I would stop with the DE. The silica particles are known to cause such problems. Mucous running from the mouth is never a good sign.
You can buy antibiotics online.
http://www.littlevalleypoultry.com/poultry-medications/oxymav

Good to know, though the dusting was going to be a twice a year thing...it was a startling amount of mucous for a small bird. Like, it was a LOT - I'd have thought she'd be showing some other symptoms, but she was acting happy. I wouldn't even bother moving in her state, this was some exorcist level shenanigans.

I'm going to order antibiotics online, thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom