Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Sorry for your losses :(

It's a good sign of how I delude myself that my heart would be broken if I lost Oricalcum - she's a Maran with fluffy feet and all the wrong colouring but she cuddles up to me, and will lean into me with eyes closed.

And yet today I'm probably going to try my first slaughter and processing of a rooster (I won't go into details as I don't want to upset the pet lovers here, and of course pets are a perfectly valid way to keep chickens!).

Okay, I have too many roosters and locally 'free to a good home' roosters have been used for illegal baiting of greyhounds.
somad.gif
I am pretty freaked out by the terror they must feel. And, uh, he's been attacking Ori, and well, everyone, and Wellington the other rooster is a gentleman who looks after his girls, so...it's kinda time for the bully to go.

I'm a total hypocrite, if someone made Ori into sunday roast I'd make THEM into sunday roast!

Maybe I will be brave again then next time we are in Sydney. I think what made this worse is the group we were with raved on about how great it was, had us walking in circles for half an hour trying to find the restaurant till we were all starving and then that was what we got. Rather a come down lol
Let me know when you're coming, and I'll give you some suggestions. Strangely, one of the best places I've been recently is the North Ryde RSL! Our all time favourite is the New Marigold, in Chinatown, and it's very easy to find!
smile.png

@Steampunked I was very happy to discover that abottoirs around here will process birds for the general public. I may not be able to process a chicken, but apart from Toothless who I got quite attached too, it seemed quite wasteful to give away 6 roosters to someone who obviously wouldn't keep all of them. It's something for me to think about for next time anyway. I did look at a few youtube clips because I feel that I should be able to process a chicken, but just no, so I hope it isn't too horrible for you.

My two pullets, Pearl and Sprinkles, have finally been accepted by the big girls. I now have one flock instead of two that happen to live together. They do go off together, but can graze amongst the flock without being chased off. I have spotted Hedwig ambushing the pullets as they come into the run for a quick peck, but life isn't perfect so they will just have to keep their wits about them.
lol.png
Now for that blue egg I've put so much work into getting!

@Steampunked I was very happy to discover that abottoirs around here will process birds for the general public. I may not be able to process a chicken, but apart from Toothless who I got quite attached too, it seemed quite wasteful to give away 6 roosters to someone who obviously wouldn't keep all of them. It's something for me to think about for next time anyway. I did look at a few youtube clips because I feel that I should be able to process a chicken, but just no, so I hope it isn't too horrible for you.

Wow, I wish I could find a place that would do the processing!

Well, it's all over now. It wasn't as horrible as I was expecting, but, er, let's just say that I was stronger (physically) than I expected when Doing the Deed (I heard the neck breaking was the most painless method and watched videos until I was sure I could do it on the first go) and got a very bloody surprise.

We're using every single bit and I did say a prayer over him.

But I have one rooster left I can't do it to - a very grey, fluffy, portly silkie who has good manners. He's just too...fluffy. Even if he's no different in his wee brain to the rooster who is now in the fridge, but it kind of feels worse.
hmm.png
I am going to have to find him a home.

Wow, I wish I could find a place that would do the processing!

Well, it's all over now.  It wasn't as horrible as I was expecting, but, er, let's just say that I was stronger (physically) than I expected when Doing the Deed (I heard the neck breaking was the most painless method and watched videos until I was sure I could do it on the first go) and got a very bloody surprise.

We're using every single bit and I did say a prayer over him.

But I have one rooster left I can't do it to - a very grey, fluffy, portly silkie who has good manners.  He's just too...fluffy.  Even if he's no different in his wee brain to the rooster who is now in the fridge, but it kind of feels worse.  :/   I am going to have to find him a home.

completely understand about the fluffy part!

Back
Top Bottom